still no eggs please help

ahappybrood

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 3, 2009
Middleboro
My hens are 25 weeks, 5 RIR's and 6 BR's. I have checked the food and it is the right laying pellets. I have even added a light bulb in the coop which is turned on at 3am. We have also gotten them the oyster shells. I dont think they are stressed. They grew up with the dogs (tied up) in the yard, my nieghbor has turkeys that make a little bit of noise but nothing that I think would bother them. I just dont know what to do. I am beginning to get frustrated. There are no predators , they are well protected. there is no sign of anything trying to get into the coop. And there is really no place for them to hide the eggs. What am I doing wrong??? Any suggestions would be much appreciated

Quote:
You are not doing anything wrong, however, adding some higher protien foods, as treats for your girls, might be helpful. My Barred Rock was 24 weeks when she laid her first egg. My RIR, at 27 weeks, laid her first egg today. . . still waiting on the EE's, looks like one of them may be getting close. I think that after 6 or 7 months, the waiting just gets unbearable. . . so make jokes about reading them chicken soup recipies when you put them to bed in the evening, and if you are in earshot of your girls, note any loud or unusual noise they are making. . . mine announce their eggs loudly and proudly!

Doesn't sound like you are doing anything wrong. We have one that's 33 weeks and nowhere near ready to lay. It's frustrating, I know. Hopefully they'll start laying soon though.
fl.gif

You're not doing anything wrong. I truly think genentics plays a large role in when a hen startes to lay. I have nine pullets all @ 22 weeks . Of the three RSL's one started laying a few weeks ago. Just this week another RSL started laying. The other has no indication of laying yet (ie squating) I have 2 BR pullets and one of them started laying this week also. No signs yet from the other. I have two RIR's no indication of laying yet from them.
sad.png

This is a hard time of year (I'm in MA also, on the Cape) for pullets with the reduction in daylight. I have a light that I turn on in the evening, just b/c its easier for us, that I turn on when they go into roost, @ 5 pm till @ 7 pm. Not sure if it helps. But they sure do look grumpy when I look in the window at them, as if they are saying "turn off the freakin' light already!!
gig.gif

Hang in there. They will lay when they are ready. Its frustrating for sure!
barnie.gif

You're not doin' anything wrong! I don't know what's in the water this year! I had 2 wait till their 35th week this year! Started laying last week! One light brahma and one golden polish... and was beginning to wonder if they were going to start crowing!
I started talkin' to em bout;
35629_roasted20chicken.jpg

big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom