Still no eggs.

lagrange chicks

Songster
Jul 27, 2023
Wisconsin
My girls ( barred rock & easter eggers) are 20 weeks and still awaiting that 1st egg. I have seen they move the fake eggs around in the nesting boxes but never leave a deposit. Had to buy another 18 pack yesterday for a $1.78.

Mine started right after I gave up and bought just one more carton of eggs 🙄

One (Sapphire Splash) started laying at 18 weeks and like dominos falling, they all started laying over the next few weeks except my prairie Bluebell, who at 26 weeks old is still going "nope, not gonna get a blue egg from me today!" 🤨

Watch for the squat, it's the biggest indicator that they're close to laying. Also, couple of my stand-offish girls started getting really"chatty" with me before they laid their first egg.

The barred rocks been doing the squat for a month now, mating for a month also. Easter eggers can't get far enough away from that crazy cockerel. lol.

wait....can we discuss where you get an 18 pack of eggs fro 1.78???? at $6/dozen I calculated it would just take a decade or two to break even in terms of costs of coop and chickens laying rent. Had i known eggs could be found for that price I may have contemplated moving instead of raising chickens!!! (Don't tell my partner!)

Last edited:
Metro Market in Mukwonago Wi.. The chicken farm (S & R ) the $1.78 eggs come from is 3.5 miles from us, Daughter worked there for summer job. When I ordered my chicks that same 18 pack was $6.99, at that time they were in rebuild mode due to bird flew. I like my chickens but they need to start earning there keep.

20 weeks is still early, especially since we're heading into fall. It's entirely possible some of them may not lay until after winter solstice because of shortening days.

My mother offered to butcher my first batch of pullets for me because she couldn't believe we ended up with a flock of 6 month olds that hadn't yet started laying. :D

Got my 1st egg yesterday afternoon. What was funny was I thought I was hearing a egg song, so I went out to the coop and the chicken that was singing was the cockerel and he kept it up for over an hour on and off. There was no egg at that time but a couple hours later there it was, small but egg for sure. The egg was on the floor in the coop so now I need them to use the nesting box.

Back
Top Bottom