Still no eggs

lizm1221

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 2, 2012
Cape Cod, MA
My Coop
My Coop
I have 4 pullets that will be 26 weeks tomorrow and one that is about 22 weeks - two of the 26 week girls started laying about a month ago (barred rock & red star) but two still have not (buff orpington and light brahma). Is that usual for these breeds to be such late layers? Their faces are barely even pinking up and the two layers started "squatting" for me about a week before they laid and these two late bloomers aren't doing that yet either. The 22 week girl (EE) has barely any comb popping out at all, so I have no hope for her anytime soon lol. I want my eggs!

It's going into the slow season for eggs because of the shorter days. That can effect things, but health and diet can too. Try adding some greens, veg, plain yogurt, cooked oatmeal.canned tuna. (Not all. At the same time). It may help speed things along. Especially if your feeding your girls bagged feed.

just a thought

Riki

Continue to feed them layer feed only. Shorter daylight hours, cooler temps contribute to slowed/decreased egg laying. It's natures way of giving chickens a break. Patience on your part will benefit you and your birds...they will lay when they are ready.

Last edited:
Laying pellets contain the vitamin D needed for laying. Without it, hens will not lay very many eggs. Buff Orpingtons and barred rocks usually lay pretty quickly as a rule, but every bird is an individual and nutrition plays a part too. You can try increasing their protein intake and give them healthy bird treats like Black Oil Sunflower Seeds.
wink.png

Laying pellets contain the vitamin D needed for laying. Without it, hens will not lay very many eggs. Buff Orpingtons and barred rocks usually lay pretty quickly as a rule, but every bird is an individual and nutrition plays a part too. You can try increasing their protein intake and give them healthy bird treats like Black Oil Sunflower Seeds.
wink.png
Sorry, I have to dispute this. I agree, for an egg a day production you need a good feed ration, but I've never fed "laying pellets" and my birds give me way more eggs than I know what to do with. Birds' reproductive systems are marvelous things that can function with nutrients gained from various sources.

Continue to feed them layer feed only. Shorter daylight hours, cooler temps contribute to slowed/decreased egg laying. It's natures way of giving chickens a break. Patience on your part will benefit you and your birds...they will lay when they are ready.
No offense, but why would you ever feed any animal only processed food that is made under almost no supervision and only has the quality control that the manufacturer decides to implement?

Thats like saying that people should only eat Chinese made TV dinners seven days a week. My flock of seven birds gets layer feed as the base of their diet. However, I supliment this with greens, oatmeal, Tuna, yogurt, and what ever else I decide to treat them with while I make the families dinner. I get 6 or 7 eggs a day, from my girls depending on the day. They are healthy and happy..

Riki

Last edited:
Sorry, I have to dispute this. I agree, for an egg a day production you need a good feed ration, but I've never fed "laying pellets" and my birds give me way more eggs than I know what to do with. Birds' reproductive systems are marvelous things that can function with nutrients gained from various sources.
You might be getting "more eggs than you know what to do with", but lizm1221 isn't. Anyone with only 4 hens, you know as well as I, is already giving lots of garden and table treats to their birds. When the daylight hours are on a decrease, chickens will take a longer time to lay properly with low proteins such as just grains and veggies. They need more protein. When did canned Tuna become a natural bird food. A bird that is a late bloomer can benefit from a higher protein feed and BOSS is a natural overall conditioner. Instead of a milk based enzyme, like milk, which is not a natural food for birds to eat, Apple cider vinegar would not only supply probiodics, but put the pullet's body in the proper PH for overall health. Since lizm1221, only has 4 pullets, it would not be practical to blend their custom feed, laying pellets are a practical way to go. It is formulated for egg producing hens Also, mealy worms would add natural protein and be a natural source a bird might eat naturally, but how many people raise mealy worms? I have a pond with small minnows, that my ducks and geese enjoy, but the chickens don't fish for them and therefore are not a natural bird treat. Everyone has their opinion. you have yours and I have mine. I do not think yogurt is the for all end all answer to everything. Advise is offered to anyone who asks, it is free to be taken or left. Whatever you please. No offense meant and no offense taken. I will defend your opinion to believe as you like. I read between the lines and gave realistic advice, IMO. The freedom of speech is a GOD given right and you certainly are entitled to yours. I only have 200 chickens ,but they are in very good health, as well as my 150 ducks, 2 dogs, 2 cats(that I do feed canned tuna to), 40 rabbits, 4 geese and 33 Turkeys, plus what already went to freezer camp. A healthy chicken is a happy chicken and mine lay about 300 eggs a year. If a chicken isn't healthy, they will not be a good layer, which is what this person asked for, with the phase" I want my eggs!" Another thing, that might help, is it feed the hens hot peppers, which comes from a natural plant.
Again let me say,"no offense meant and no offense taken!"
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom