Still no eggs...

Poultry have been studied just as thoroughly as other farm animals. Here is a University fact sheet--if you scroll to the end you will find a long bibliography of published work on the subject, and that just scratches the surface. http://www.sp.uconn.edu/~mdarre/poultrypages/light_inset.html

Quote:
You are correct, it is a link from their ancestral past. In either the above fact sheet or the one I posted previously, this fact is mentioned. I will correct you on one thing--it isn't actually the amount of light that the chickens' bodies are reacting to. It's actually the length of the dark period. For us humans, it's easier to talk about number of light-hours, but what you're really doing is limiting dark, not supplementing light. That's why you don't need very much light to affect the hens, just enough to read by instead of super-bright.

Thanks for that link... it was indeed enlightening.... (pun intended)
tongue.png
. I do recall now from my earlier biology/botany courses, after you mentioned it, that it was indeed the darkness period that triggers the hormonal changes rather than the light interval, same in plants. Just possible my old grey matter getting punky....
roll.png

Thanks for that link... it was indeed enlightening.... (pun intended)
tongue.png
. I do recall now from my earlier biology/botany courses, after you mentioned it, that it was indeed the darkness period that triggers the hormonal changes rather than the light interval, same in plants. Just possible my old grey matter getting punky....
roll.png

The study of the dark period is fascinating. There is a body of research that points to us humans doing ourselves a serious disservice because we no longer have a true dark period. Think about the bright alarm clock numbers, night lights, all of those electronics that have always-on LEDs that we keep in our bedrooms, etc. Some scientists believe that all those lights contribute to modern humans' stress levels, which in turn affects health and body weight. I know that I have a hard time sleeping if I'm facing a digital alarm clock, but when I went to buy a new one, getting one with dim numbers was impossible. We ended up paying over $100 for one of those alarm clocks that wakes you up with light instead of noise, mostly because we could dim the numbers at night and only the numbers are lit, not the entire surface of the clock. And they STILL are too bright for me!

Last edited:
If you got White Leghorn chickens, they will always be "terrified" of you. They are the craziest chickens out there. They have been bred down to lay pure white eggs, but obviously not for a brain.

The darker breeds are less panicky and are even pet-able and some even like to "snuggle" with you.

Are you feeding them laying mash?

If you're EVER in doubt of your seller, don't buy from him/her. These days, there are thieves and racketeers of all kinds out there. Want honest buys, go to Tractor supply or any reputable dealer, not some jack-leg waiting to nip you. Lack of the fear of prosecution has given many hucksters a feeling of carte blanche and it isn't worth the money it costs to get YOUR money back, so just be careful.

If you're not satisfied, tell them you want your money back, because the sale was misrepresented. If they don't capitulate, spread the word that they aren't good people to deal with. Hit 'em in the pocketbook.

(OTS: I was wondering... Does anyone else use fine-crushed oyster shell as a "side dish" for their layers?)

Last edited:
Hi, Annabelle--

They are just chickens, and reacting to all kinds of things. Maybe someone else has already posted about that, I don't know. But don't despair!

First, make sure you are feeding them a good standard feed. Layena seems to be the most popular, and I have had good luck with it as well.

Second, give them treats. I stay away from chicken and eggs for what should seem like obvious reasons, but I offer all sorts of things to my girls, even moldy cheese and leftover meat. They should not have citrus, but they can have practically anything else. I used to avoid avocado, having read that it is toxic to them, but it turns out it is the seed and skin that are problems, not the actual avocado. Not that I have avocado all that often....

I have given mine cooked oatmeal, yogurt, cooked and fresh vegetables, expired juices (but not citrus), and they get "scratch" every day (bought in bags from the same place you get the regular feed).

If you go in and sit with a treat in your hand, very quietly, just be patient, they'll get curious and won't be able to stay away from you. It might take a while, it sounds like they have not been used to direct human contact and maybe have been abused (or feel like they were--we don't think about things like sudden moves and loud noises as abusive, but the chickens might!).

You are doing the best thing by posting to this group--a great bunch here. I hope things go better for you with your girls. With any luck, they'll start laying and soon you'll have more eggs than you know what to do with!

Welcome to the "family!"

Christine

If you got White Leghorn chickens, they will always be "terrified" of you. They are the craziest chickens out there. They have been bred down to lay pure white eggs, but obviously not for a brain.

The darker breeds are less panicky and are even pet-able and some even like to "snuggle" with you.

Are you feeding them laying mash?

If you're EVER in doubt of your seller, don't buy from him/her. These days, there are thieves and racketeers of all kinds out there. Want honest buys, go to Tractor supply or any reputable dealer, not some jack-leg waiting to nip you. Lack of the fear of prosecution has given many hucksters a feeling of carte blanche and it isn't worth the money it costs to get YOUR money back, so just be careful.

If you're not satisfied, tell them you want your money back, because the sale was misrepresented. If they don't capitulate, spread the word that they aren't good people to deal with. Hit 'em in the pocketbook.

(OTS: I was wondering... Does anyone else use fine-crushed oyster shell as a "side dish" for their layers?)
Yes and the funny thing is that my Hens are the only ones that eat it. THe Pullets and the roos aren't interested in the oyster shells

Reason being that oyster shells are calcium and make good hard egg shells and the hens' bodies crave it, so they ingest it.

It keeps the eggs from being thin-shelled, but if the hen is setting eggs, the calcium will be absorbed into the "chick" and the shells will be thin enough for the chick to "peck out" when the time comes.

If you're selling eggs for the table, the extra calcium keeps the shell from being fragile.

Reason being that oyster shells are calcium and make good hard egg shells and the hens' bodies crave it, so they ingest it.

It keeps the eggs from being thin-shelled, but if the hen is setting eggs, the calcium will be absorbed into the "chick" and the shells will be thin enough for the chick to "peck out" when the time comes.

If you're selling eggs for the table, the extra calcium keeps the shell from being fragile.
My eggs are so thick that it takes a good whack to crack them open! They are so much better than store bought I am glad I will never have to go back again! I didn't know about the chick absorbing part of the shell that is great. I don't have a 'bator yet so I will let my BOrp go broody this spring, she's usually half way there anyway LOL!
I also feed back the crushed shells! Waste not, want not!

Hi everyone,
I am new the chicken world. I got chicks 4 months ago when they were a day old. I love my girls. I have two Silver lace wyandetts, two Golden lace wyandetts, two golden buffs, two buff orlingtons and they threw in a leghorn.
I have been reading the different post and just want to go back and ask a few questions just so I am clear in what is needed for them to lay.

1. I read were feeding treats will inhabit the egg laying? I feed my girls treats everyday-- bananas, seeds, and cabbage so is that bad???
2. Living the the south we have daylight from 6 am to 6 pm. So is that not enough light for them? Do they need a light to go off at 8 pm of so?

Thanks Martha

Do you feed them foods like oatmeal, pasta or rice? If you do, add pepper (black or cayenne) to the food.... This could help with the egg laying as they will dink more water...

Back
Top Bottom