Still not laying eggs

thing1thingvu

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 24, 2013
So we've had our chickens since...mid July and we still haven't received any eggs. I'm worried that maybe we aren't putting in enough hay or maybe the food that we switched them to from when they were chicks to now might be wrong. Any suggestions?

It is common for chicks born mid summer to not lay till days start getting longer.
Normally laying commences at around 20 weeks or so but as days shorten it inhibits the hormones that dictate sexual maturity.
It's important not to switch to layer feed till one gets the first egg. Better yet, don't switch till all birds are laying and offer oyster shell in a separate container for actively laying birds.
Feeding something in the neighborhood of 4% calcium is way too high for birds not laying and can cause kidney damage as well as other problems.

What are you feeding, what did you switch from and when did you do it?
What are you talking about with the hay. Chickens really don't eat hay much.

Last edited:
Mid July to now December is 23 weeks. July 14th to December 22. The average for start of lay is 24 weeks and some chickens even longer. If they are getting a good feed with 15 to 18% protein then that's all they need. They will lay any week now, especially now that the days are getting longer.

I have 2 lorps that were hatched june 3rd and still have not laid. I remind myself (and say a prayer daily) that maybe one day they will lay.

Barb

My birds hatched Memorial weekend have just started laying over the last 2-3 weeks, and one hen that was hatched in min June just laid her first egg Friday. Days are getting longer from here on out, so chances are getting better each day!

I hope I see eggs soon. My girls were hatched mid July, and nada, so far. But the Barred Rock is getting very red in her comb. And I noticed even the EE is pinking up a bit.

Back
Top Bottom