Still not laying...

LRavis

In the Brooder
Jun 6, 2020
I’ve posted about this before, but now I’m really starting to worry...I got a black australorp, along with three other breeds, the last week of July this year. I was told they were all about 14-18mths old. My black australorp laid one egg, and now she hasn’t laid since. I thought with the move to our homestead, a dog attack in an adjacent coop, two other flock mates unexpectedly dying, and possibly fall molting was maybe why she still hasn’t laid, but she never looked like she was going through a molt and it’s been like 5ish months now. I’ve checked her for mites/lice and she looks perfect. She was and still is very skittish but will almost eat out of my hand now...could trauma still be affecting her this long?? I appreciate any insight as I am new to this wonderful chicken adventure.

I would suspect that she's probably over the trauma and just taking a winter break. This year, even most of my so-called "winter layers" are, for some reason, not laying during these long, dark days. I don't add supplemental light during the winter, which could encourage eggs, but I expect everyone to lay with renewed vigor in the spring.

And, you are so right: chickens are quite an adventure!

Light was decreasing when you got them, although still adequate for laying. Molt and trauma may have been contributing factors. Some of mine began to molt in August. In addition daylight right now is very short, so that would be the other reason. Do you have a lot of overcast weather? One year, we had lots of pullets AND supplemental light (which is only on for a few hours in the am). But, we also had several weeks of horribly overcast weather. We got no eggs at all for about 3 weeks in that January, as if the very dim daylight wasn’t doing anything for them. This year, my mixed age flock has decreased production, and some just don’t seem to be winter layers. They have supplemental light in their coop on a timer, but we still have distinctly fewer eggs.

the other thing that greatly impacts egg laying is water consumption. Assuming they have great water access, and that is likely not a cause for the lack of eggs.

Light was decreasing when you got them, although still adequate for laying. Molt and trauma may have been contributing factors. Some of mine began to molt in August. In addition daylight right now is very short, so that would be the other reason. Do you have a lot of overcast weather? One year, we had lots of pullets AND supplemental light (which is only on for a few hours in the am). But, we also had several weeks of horribly overcast weather. We got no eggs at all for about 3 weeks in that January, as if the very dim daylight wasn’t doing anything for them. This year, my mixed age flock has decreased production, and some just don’t seem to be winter layers. They have supplemental light in their coop on a timer, but we still have distinctly fewer eggs.

the other thing that greatly impacts egg laying is water consumption. Assuming they have great water access, and that is likely not a cause for the lack of eggs.

Our weather has been gray for a while now with a few days a week of sun, but my other hens are still laying so I didn’t think that was it. I don’t supplement light either. They do have a lot of fresh water daily, shes very alert, eats well...my husband is worried we got a “dud” and is living rent free LOL.

I would suspect that she's probably over the trauma and just taking a winter break. This year, even most of my so-called "winter layers" are, for some reason, not laying during these long, dark days. I don't add supplemental light during the winter, which could encourage eggs, but I expect everyone to lay with renewed vigor in the spring.

And, you are so right: chickens are quite an adventure!

I sure hope Juliette decides to start laying in the spring too! Or sooner so I can stop worrying something is wrong with her :)

Back
Top Bottom