Stinging insect killer that is non-toxic to chickens?

Be careful about trapping them inside of a wall. I've heard that if they cannot get out they will chew their way out. You don't want them coming into the coop mad. Heard that someone was killed by a swarm in bed from doing that. (Although that may be an urban legend) I have at least one nest in the walls of my house. Don't know where they are, no sign of them in the crawl space or attic, but every winter I find 1-3 a month inside.
I had the same experience last year replacing a fence. It came within 2 feet of an underground nest. They did not like me making noise that close to them. Got swarmed a couple times. Finally had to dress in winter clothes and just work as fast as possible ignoring the stings. Every year I pull 10-20 nests off the eves. Yellow jackets must like me.

Imp- I usually just try to live with them.

90% rubbing alcohol (avail at drug store) kills wasps, ants, roaches, etc. ON CONTACT. Pour it on the nest after dark. Should lnot hurt the chickns, and evaporates very quickly. You may have to do it more than one night to get the whole wasp nest.

With yellow jacket wasps, if you see where the nest is early enough in the spring, you can just kill the workers that are coming and going by standing there and spraying them one by one. There aren't that many early on, and then the nest dies out.

For carpenter bees, spray a dish soap solution on the bees themselves, and into the hole where the nest is. Also kills on contact. Then fill the hole with caulk.

I personally would not spray any organophosphate pesticide in my hen coop.

Back
Top Bottom