Stinky Bum with yellow poop/ Vent Gleet?

What?!?! I have handled her to check her weight but I didn't pay close attention to her abdomen.
Ok...will be back home this afternoon and will check for temp and sponginess (is that even a word?? Lol)
Thank you for your response! I will research Egg Yolk Peritonitis.

Ok...Annabelle's rear end has been washed and blow dried. Wow is she fluffy now!
She still had some sticky yellow looking stuff stuck on, in and around her vent. Tried to gently remove with a q-tip. I got most of it off but some small areas would not and I didn't want to scrub too hard because she was very red and looked a bit swollen. And she had some minor bleeding where I had srubbed off some of the yellow gunk. She smells much better but I can still detect that sour smell.
I will check her in the morning.

I forgot to mention that her abdomen was a little red...she didn't feel spongy.

She could be red because of the gunk that was stuck to her- the whitish stuff is the equivalent to urine so when left on the skin it can cause irritation. Hopefully now she's cleaned up a bit it will go- if not, put a mild antiseptic on it- Just watch the other chooks don't start pecking at the area as they are attracted to red and can cause severe injury or even death if they get started... (they can be nasty so and sos!) Yo can buy an antiseptic purple spray to spray on affected areas- this will soothe as well as disquise the redness.

Hello everybody,
I checked her this morning...all of that yucky yellow gunk is back on her vent.
idunno.gif

She's a very fluffy cochin, especially after her bath and blow dry. I have to dig through all the feathers to check her vent so I don't think anyone but me and Jesus are gonna get a look at her rear end.
lol.png

I will go and pick up the purple antiseptic.
fl.gif
Is that the same thing as what you would use on a baby with thrush?
Thank you Karhog!

I have a hen with what sounds like the same problem. I found her just sitting on the roost a few days ago, I thought she was a gonner. Absolutly stomach turning stench. I have issolated her and she seems to be coming around, but is not eating or drinking much. What is it?! I am in hopes that she is going to come around, it has been three days, but at the same time, she already smells dead...

Oh my....I am so sorry to hear about your hen. It's frustrating trying to figure out what "this" is and how to treat it. :/ My girl has a great appetite and drinks pretty good too. I have not isolated her yet. I sure hope we can find the right answers for our girls. Ya know, I had 11 hens and a rooster given to me 3 years ago and never had a clue they could get sick. They were healthy and huge! LOL There was a very clever fox that got all but 3. Many tears were shed trying to grasp Farm Life...it's still not easy. I had to cull a young chick with Merek's a while back. Broke my heart...ugh!

Having trouble finding the Genetian Violet Antiseptic. Grrrrr No one seems to carry it around here. Still have a couple more olaces to check. I can probably order online though.
Should I bathe her again or wait till I have the antiseptic?

Having trouble finding the Genetian Violet Antiseptic. Grrrrr No one seems to carry it around here. Still have a couple more olaces to check. I can probably order online though.
Should I bathe her again or wait till I have the antiseptic?
It's called BluKote. You can find it at any ag store usually in the horse section.

If she has vent gleet or EYP then Blukote is not going to do a lick of good. Vent gleet is a yeast infection, and EYP is an infection that heralds more serious reproductive issues that are fatal in the long run. I still don't believe you are dealing with vent gleet because of the smell and coloring- it should be white-ish and smell like sweet bread (sorry, disgusting, I know). Foul yellow discharge is indicative of an infection.

Ok...good to know. There is nothing sweet smelling about her backside. And the yellow gunk is thick and sticky
sickbyc.gif
(yeah sorry...that too is also disgusting).
I wonder what kind of infection I am up against???
hmm.png

The guy that sold her to me probably knew something was up with her.
smack.gif
She hasn't laid an egg for me yet and the guy said she laid at least 5 a week. I bought her in January 21st this year.

Back
Top Bottom