Stinky,disgusting breath in hens

Oh my.... well at least now you know...!
Read the article put up by Wyotp above
towards the bottom of article it explains how to give the bird doses of Dulcolax which im spelling wrong... to the bird to help move the crop...
it worked for us... and we softly massaged the crop several times during the day...
just follow the instructions until the crops empty...

So I can crush grit?I have a huge bag of grit,plenty to mix with food.

Are you talking about oyster shell "grit" or poultry grit (crushed granite). 2 separate products for 2 separate uses.

Oyster shell should be given free choice - it is a dissoluble form of calcium to help supplement calcium in the diet.

Poultry grit should also be given free choice - it is usually made of crushed granite - it is small sharp stones/rocks that a chicken uses in the gizzard to grind/process foods.

Depending on how much styrofoam they ate, that could be partly your problem, a sour crop is basically a crop that is boggy and has not emptied, the contents have soured or fermented creating a yeast/fungus infection.

I'm not sure why they do, but chickens love styrofoam.

I have decided to separate the hens.I will start by making both hens vomit.I watched the right way for doing this,give them several times to breath,also giving her wet feed,and grit.

I will also be mixing apple cider vinegar in water,if we have it.

I actually changed my idea.So I have decided to let both hens go without water for 12 hours,during that time it will determine whether or not her crop has emptied,or if I will have to forcefully,make her puke. After that,I will give her probiotics in the water,mixed with apple cider vinegar,or should the 2 not mix well?

I also seen a red wine treatment,apparently,it does very well.

I have also seen a few more hens have water come back out,but they just suck it back up like spit,like it is a game to to see who spit touche the ground and if they can keep it all together.
All my hens mouths accept for stinky ones ,all smell like grain.

Withholding water is not a good idea. Make water available, if anything withhold food for a day.

Massage crop in downward circular motion. If you have a vet that can assist you that would be best, they can also give you an anti-fungal like Nystatin that can help with the yeast, but you need to get things moving first. If they have been eating styrofoam and rubber, then they need plenty of water and some grit (free choice) to help move that stuff on out.

I have been massaging crops,gave them water with probiotics. I have 2 other hens with problems right now,bumble foot,and one unknown hen who is getting better,on top of this we have scaley leg mites,and lice,so this hasn't been so great.:hit

Back
Top Bottom