Stock tank idea/question

jconnon

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 20, 2016
Massachusetts
I building my duck run and coop this week for my four Welsh Harlequins and I have a bunch of materials that were given to me or I have already kicking around. One of those items that I have is a Rubbermaid 300 gal stock tank with a drain plug on the bottom. Initially I was not going to use it as my duck pond for a couple of reasons but the more I think about it it seems foolish not to but I have a couple of concerns. The first is that it is 25" tall, will they walk a ramp up to it? Second, 300 gals is a lot of water that I do not want to change daily. If I get a little pump and make a filter can I let the water go a week or two? I use the water to water all my plants so I know most of it would not be wasted unless I have to change it daily. I do have a couple of small koi ponds so I know how to make the filter. And third it is 5x6 feet around, is that going to take up to much space in my 12x16 run with a 4x6 coop in it as well? I would think the ducks would prefer pond space. They will spend most of their time in this area and will be allowed to free range in the backyard when I am out with them but my koi pond in the yard will be off limits.

I have seen various pictures of people who use stock tanks. Most are used with a ramp system, but I've also seen pictures of some half way buried with a shorter ramp, all the way buried with no ramp, or a wrap around deck with the entire run raised. I've attached an image of s ramp system that looked nice and is safe for the ducks, though to save space in the run you could probably come up with something smaller. As for run space, that still seems like plenty of space, over 30 sq feet of available floor space per duck which is great!

As for filters, I'm still learning about them and how best to make them efficient in duck water. Yes, a filter will up make the water last a bit longer. There are some pond systems people only change the water a couple times a year! Hopefully someone chimes in with better filter advice! Otherwise, I have gone through some great threads on here regarding filters that you should look at. How do you make your own?

I have a 2000 gal koi/goldfish pond and I made a Skippy type filter (google Skippy Filter) with a Rubbermaid 70 gal stock tank and it works pretty good. I would just make a smaller version and use a submersible pump to feed the filter which would also help with taking the water out.

I have decided to use the stock tank. I seems foolish to have it sitting in me cellar empty and then buying something else. I will figure out a way to make the water last longer than a day.

Back
Top Bottom