1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Stocking Stuffer ID?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MerleMice, May 24, 2016.

1. MerleMice

MerleMice Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2014
    Central Wisconsin
    I got four unidentified extra chicks in my McMurray order that hatched April 25th. They have yellow legs and are white/a light peachy color. They are growing faster then the other birds I ordered, and I am interested in knowing what they are in case I want to order some in the future. I am leaning toward male red Stars?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. littlegreywolf

littlegreywolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Southwest Texas
    They may be broilers/meat chickens. The way they look and the fact that they're growing much more quickly than the others may indicated Cornish Cross chickens - you'd have to eat them at some point soon (around 12-15wks or so, I believe) as soon as they weigh around 5lbs you can butcher them. I could be wrong about what they are, though. :)

3. MerleMice

Jul 12, 2014
    Central Wisconsin

I had also initially thought broiler, but they aren't as, shall we say, ugly, as other broilers I've seen, imo.

4. MerleMice

Jul 12, 2014
    Central Wisconsin
    Birds are about 7 weeks now, and I just wanted to update this. They are all a peachy color with differing amounts of red on the wings, all appear male. I think my initial guess of red star males was likely correct!

[​IMG]

I will try to remember to get pictures before butcher day, but there are a lot of adult examples on Google for anyone interested.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by