Stockpiling feed before prices go up due to corn crop failures/drought -- how long can it be stored

lceh

Songster
11 Years
Oct 15, 2008
Central Virginia
I've been reading a lot about how the current drought and heat means corn prices are going to spike, and I'm sure I'll be horrified at how much a 50# of feed is going to cost in a month or so. How long can pelleted all-grain feed be stored safely? I'm going to Southern States this afternoon anyway I'm thinking it might be a cost-saving idea to stockpile several bags before the cost increase hits (if it hasn't already). I took a look at the feed tag but while there's a lot number, there's no expiration date listed.

It will keep for several months if stored properly? Must be kept dry and kept from high humidity. Bags stored in large plastic trash can with good lid and stored indoors out of weather will stay good for several months and not mold. I stored chick started from last Spring and it was still good this Spring.

hi! I recently purchased a 50 lb bag of organic feed for my 4 chickens. The ppl at the feed store said I should freeze the bag of food so it will not deplete in vitamins and minerals, etc. I have room in my freezer, so I put about 3/4's of the bag in the deep freeze. (Golly, that was heavy!!)
ps....yes, it is scary how much corn and most all food prices are going up and will continue to rise!!!! :( ~Beulah

You can keep the bags as stated for several months in a plastic garage can--but I would add a vitamin supplement or fresh produce to their diet to make up for the lack of vitamins(d3 and a mostly) in anything over say 5- 6 months. I'm going to buy extra for both my donkey and the chickens--the donkey gets additives anyway. Be careful defrosting your bags, as that will a the time you could lose it to a build up of moisture.

Last edited:
The drought isn't really going to affect this years feed prices as bad as it will next year.
This years grain most likely won't be use as feed until next year, and if the drought is bad enough then the farmers are going to hold onto all they can for there own use before selling any.
I know the mill I use here in Ohio will get a lot of there corn, oats and other grain from Canada just so that they can keep the grain price down.

Chris

My husband and I are considering buying a stock pile ourselves. We go through about two 50 lb bags of feed every two weeks with some left over. We are thinking of buying a pallet of feed because we can get it on discount. For that we think that we will store the feed in metal garbage cans lined up in the barn. We don't want to use plastic because of how much easier it is for plastic to be chewed through. We think we will be able to fit about 4 bags per can but we aren't sure how many bags total that would be.

My husband and I are considering buying a stock pile ourselves. We go through about two 50 lb bags of feed every two weeks with some left over. We are thinking of buying a pallet of feed because we can get it on discount. For that we think that we will store the feed in metal garbage cans lined up in the barn. We don't want to use plastic because of how much easier it is for plastic to be chewed through. We think we will be able to fit about 4 bags per can but we aren't sure how many bags total that would be.
There should 2000 lbs to a skid that's 40 bags, unless you are using 50 gallons cans I don't think you are going to get 4 bags [200 lbs] in one can you.

Chris

That is a lot of metal, can's hope you have them laying around and don't plan on buying them, If you are buying them i don't know what kind of savings you will see.

Feed went from $9.00 for 50 LBS in the spring to 11.00 last month to $12.00 Yesterday, this is from the mill, I asked tehm why the price increase and they said because of the drought.

Feed from Local farm stores are about $2.00 more a bag.

Last edited:
We were already paying $12-13 for a 50# bag of pelleted feed at the local feed co-op this summer, so I shudder to think how high it could go. Like you, Amy, we go through just over 1 bag a week. I spoke with the feed store manager today and he said they suggest a 90 day shelf life, so I may buy a 3 month supply and then replenish each month as we go through it (using the good old FIFO inventory system). That way I hopefully won't get caught completely by surprise when the prices do spike, even if it's not until fall or winter.

i hadn't even considered the price jump. duh. i'm going tomorrow for scratch. i think i'll get some extra feed while i'm at it. store it in the freezer. i think i have room

Back
Top Bottom