Stone Tools - What are they? PICS

~*Sweet Cheeks*~

Songster
10 Years
Mar 12, 2009
Medford, Oregon
I have 3 stone tools my Dad found in the 60's digging out by our barn. Lots of arrowheads were found (don't know what happened to them though).

We lived on an island called Puget Island in the Columbia River in SW Washington - Cathlamet, WA is the town connected by bridge.

Native American tribe that inhabited the area were knocked out by small pox (I think).

What are they? What were they used for? If I wanted to sell them, where or who would I go through? Thank you for your help.

24846_stone_tools_upright.jpg

24846_stone_tools.jpg

24846_stone_tools_013.jpg

24846_stone_tools_014.jpg

24846_stone_tools_017.jpg

The last one on the right might be a fishing net weight. The second perhaps a grinder, the first ? please let us know when you find out! How cool.

The large piece in the center of your first pic reminds me of a pestle - used along with a mortar to grind grains and such.
idunno.gif

Just out of curiosity, does the "point" of the smaller black piece fit in the slot of the other small piece?

The middle stone looks like a stopper of some sort, like a water vessel pot with cork stopper.

It could have been a pestle of some sort.

Are you close to old logging posts?

Quote:

I just sent an email to local Evergreen State College - Native American Studies. And one to the Nisqually Tribe - a large local tribe.

The middle stone looks like a stopper of some sort, like a water vessel pot with cork stopper.
It could have been a pestle of some sort.
Are you close to old logging posts?

The middle stone would be a HUGE stopper - it's almost 5". I believe it could be a pestle.

No logging posts on Puget Island. Our farm was very close to the banks of the Columbia River.

Just out of curiosity, does the "point" of the smaller black piece fit in the slot of the other small piece?

No it doesn't. It is much thicker - close to a haf inch. The slot in the round stone is maybe 1/4".

If you know the name of the tribe, you could contact them, or the nearest tribe to you. Here is a link to some of the tribes in Washington State.

No remaining tribes in the Puget Island/Cathlamet area. All wiped out by small pox.

We find arrowheads everysooften here. The middle is a grinder aka like a pestle and mortar(what others have posted).
We've found drills, spearblades,necklace pieces,marbles, an axehead and just the regular old arrowheads.

The black one might of been used similar to a drill but also like the middle one
idunno.gif
Very cool though! I have a book around here somewhere with the discriptions and the prices, but it is an old book.

AC

Back
Top Bottom