UPDATE with pics--Need more help. What attacked the chickens and what can I do?

14513buff

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 4, 2013
Hello everyone,
I am a mother of a 4h'r that has been successfully raising egg laying chickens for a year and a half. I've helped him every step of the way from the beginning and have become very attached to these girls! He keeps them at his dad's house (which is a 2 acre farmstead in the country with outbuildings). His 15 chickens free range from morning to dusk when they come back to their coop. He only lost one young chicken at the very start that just disappeared.

My son is currently away for the weekend with his grandmother. During a 2-hour time period when his dad was away from home, something kind of drastic happened. His dad returned home and all 15 chickens were gone and there was just a trail of a lot of feathers. He called me and I got there and called the chickens for 2 hours. Most of them emerged from a cornfield ok. I found one buff orphington (sp?) in a blackberry bush. It was very injured with a big gash between it's wings. Later I found another bo who squeezed into the barn limping severely with the only thing I can describe as a really messed up rear end. I called up the local farm vet (4th of July evening) who said there is not much he can do but we should separate them from the flock, give water and hope for the best. We are still missing one or two chickens. One of the Rhode Island Reds came back looking fine and then just fell over on her side and appears to be on her way out. We put her in a box in a separate barn. She was generally an aggressor. The vet I talked to said this was not an attack from a hawk or raccoon because the chickens would not have gotten away. He suggested it was a cat or maybe they attacked each other. But really? We are still missing one or two so that would mean whatever got to these chickens has potentially knocked out 5 chickens.

I am brokenhearted and don't know how I'm going to tell my son about this. And frankly I don't know what to do with the injured birds that are in the coop (in a separate cage). I really hoped they could see a vet tonight but he didn't think a visit would be beneficial. I guess I could put them in a carrier and take them in tomorrow but he seemed to indicate there is little they can do.

Does anyone have any idea what might have happened and suggestions for taking care of the injured ones? I need to let them out tomorrow and don't want to lose more!

Thanks for any suggestions you can provide.

It could be a Dog or Fox that attacked and they scattered and hid.

On the wounds you can apply some Blu kote or neosporin , three in one ointment , no pain Killer, Clean the wound with saline solution if you have it if, not clean water.. I have closed wounds with supper glue in a pinch.. They will heal quickly from pretty bad wounds.

The vet should not be necessary..

Oh and Welcome To BYC ! From West TN ! Sorry this has to be your first post.

Last edited:
So sorry! The birds you have that are injured need to be put in separate boxes/containers inside and warmed. Keeping them warm and quiet is crucial at this point!

I would not let any out tomorrow. The predator knows where they are and will be back!

Sounds like a dog to me. Most wild animals don't go around wounding them like that.
Sorry to hear about this and best of luck to you.

Edit: You might want to give them electrolytes and vitamins to help with their stress. Whatever it was (I believe it's a dog) will be back.

Last edited:
Thanks, I will try that. The wounds seem kind of bad. The chickens that are injured have their mouths open. The vet said that is not pain but stress. Not so sure. How long should I keep them away from the rest of the flock? The other chickens were pecking at them as soon as they were back together.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I really wanted to stay out of my son's farm animal projects. I don't have a strong sense of letting nature take it's course and take these kinds of setbacks very hard. Every animal to me becomes a pet.

Get some blu Kote it helps with the pecking, changes the red to blue or purple and taste nasty.. Don't be hesitant to clean them and glue them if needed..

They should not go back with the flock until no red is showing from the wounds. The Blu-Kote will help disguise this some but they need to be mostly healed.

The "mouth open" breathing is a sign of stress. Provide water, but they still need warmth and quiet to calm down.

I will do that and post an update tomorrow. I will try the local feed store. Thanks for taking time to respond. Weird how these kinds of things seem to happen on holidays.

The two badly injured chickens are together in a separate cage within the overall coop. They shouldn't bother each other should they? Keeping them warm shouldn't be a problem. We're having some pretty hot weather here in Ohio. If they make it through the night, maybe I will bring them to my house and into my attached garage where there are generally no flies.

Back
Top Bottom