Stool softener for impacted crop?

Chikenlover3728

In the Brooder
Jun 11, 2022
Does stool softener help clean up the crop or helps break the contents in the crop if so should I buy this one?

Attachments

• A52C6270-8DE1-447D-82DE-A2CDA902E6DE.jpeg
    A52C6270-8DE1-447D-82DE-A2CDA902E6DE.jpeg
    182.2 KB · Views: 46
Does stool softener help clean up the crop or helps break the contents in the crop if so should I buy this one?
I have read about that but am skeptical. If you do try it then that is the right one to use - be careful as this post says not to get the other kind.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/dulcolax-confusion-beware.1036795/

I have never tried stool softener as I don't get how it would work. I use coconut oil and massage - several times a day for several days - and, knock on wood, so far have been successful in helping my ladies clear blocked crops.

One time I gave cellulase which is an enzyme that breaks down cellulose on the grounds that the blockage is probably fibrous grass which is mainly cellulose.
Good luck with treating your chicken.

I have read about that but am skeptical. If you do try it then that is the right one to use - be careful as this post says not to get the other kind.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/dulcolax-confusion-beware.1036795/

I have never tried stool softener as I don't get how it would work. I use coconut oil and massage - several times a day for several days - and, knock on wood, so far have been successful in helping my ladies clear blocked crops.

One time I gave cellulase which is an enzyme that breaks down cellulose on the grounds that the blockage is probably fibrous grass which is mainly cellulose.
Good luck with treating your chicken.
How many times a day do you recommend giving them coconut oil for? Someone recommended that same stool softener one capsule in a syringe every 4 hours helps loosen the crop is what they told me but their hen is younger mine is close to 2 years old. Eggcessive also said this “You can give 2 doccusate sodium soft gels, and make sure that she takes a lot of water. I would repeat ina day or two if needed. Then massage the doughy crop several times a day. Give mushy foods, and no whole grains until the crop empties. Scrambled soft egg and plain unsweetened yogurt are very good. If it goes down some, then offer a little wet chicken feed and more of the egg and yogurt.” Ima try the coconut oil for a bit more though

I don't think that's the right one to buy because it says "laxative" - the correct one should just say stool softener.
3b1ae4cd-9b38-4ab7-ab2b-22f3eb1c3f33_1.e674dafece90429e2c9cd24641c0aef0.jpeg.jpg
Curious as to if you got a good result from cellulase? I would be interested to know where to buy and how to administer it!

I don't think that's the right one to buy because it says "laxative" - the correct one should just say stool softener.
View attachment 3179567

Curious as to if you got a good result from cellulase? I would be interested to know where to buy and how to administer it!
The key is the ingredients. Docusate Sodium without anything else. Avoid bisacodyl at all costs.
The chicken I used cellulase on did clear the blockage and is doing great. I have no idea if the cellulase helped or not but I was at wits end with endless coconut oil and massage sessions!
I bought it on line (Amazon I think). It is a supplement that some people take and it is also often added to chicken feed (which is how I concluded it would be safe to try).

The key is the ingredients. Docusate Sodium without anything else. Avoid bisacodyl at all costs.
The chicken I used cellulase on did clear the blockage and is doing great. I have no idea if the cellulase helped or not but I was at wits end with endless coconut oil and massage sessions!
I bought it on line (Amazon I think). It is a supplement that some people take and it is also often added to chicken feed (which is how I concluded it would be safe to try).
I’m confused so is the one I posted good or not?

Read the ingredients. If all it has is docusate then I think it is OK.

But I should underscore I have never used stool softener so I cannot be considered an expert!
Ok do you know of anyone who’s used it wanna be 100% sure of what I’m giving to my chickens

Back
Top Bottom