STOP BATHING YOUR DUCKS/GEESE WITH SOAP

I am new to ducks and fresh water usually does the trick but I have a disabled duck who swims alright but can't stand or walk. This also means no oil spreading or water proofing. He preens his belly a lot because he can reach that. Any suggestions for keeping him clean outside this?

What is wrong with him? I had a duck with wry neck, and he couldn't clean himself good, but if did fine. Until medicated him.

He is a crested mallard we rescued when he was a day or so old. He has some neurological issues and can't bend his neck all the way to his glands. His legs work but he just falls over.

What is going to happen to my goose I use shampoo that had avocado in it Is he going to die
:welcome
why did you wash your goose in shampoo? he won't die but all the oils on his feathers are probably washed off. Let him preen and put the oils back on now that he has been washed.

Last edited:
I still have a duck with wet feather. She just does not get that she needs to use her oil gland and I am concerned that some day I will go out to the coop in the cold AM and find her frozen. I appreciate that she should instinctfully know how to and use it but she does not use it, so I guess there is an exception to every rule. There is nothing I can do, because I have tried dawn (for one bath only to get the scum from the farm off) and tried to teach her to use her oil gland. I rubbed lightly to get some on my fingers and then tried to transfer that oil to her beak and her wing feathers, which are the worst. It did not work.

I suppose this is lightly off topic but the dawn did seem to help somewhat but now with a driving rain and intense wind yesterday, she's as bad as ever.

Muscovy are not the best in the world for bathing and preening mine do both but not anything like my runners and Buffs or my goose. I really don't know anything else you can do to get her to preen. What about a nice warm bath inside and then let her dry and preen real good before putting her back out

She preens constantly! Spends way too much time at it. Mostly because of how wet she is. And she gets so little out of it. Without sun or a light (hopefully warm) wind, she just does not dry. I feel so sorry for her. It seems to take her away from eating while the others get their fill.
The issue is not that she is not motivated to try to keep herself clean (and both of my other 2 do a GREAT job), it is that she does not seem to realize she has and should use the gland. It's almost like she just does not know it's there. That's why I tried to show her. My 3 (one is now gone) other muscovy use it instinctfully. This one just hasn't a clue. She also is what you could refer to as a runt. Very small (compared to the other hen) and I think was very used to being mated by all the drakes (regardless of breed) at the farm. In other words, she was very easy pickins and when my drake jumped on her the instant they met, she was ready to submit - she clearly had it down.

Back
Top Bottom