Stop me before I make a mistake

i think the 8X8 will be perfect, well worth building a bit larger, it costs more to have to re-build if you go to small (or downsize, and trust me, that almost never happens in this hobby!)

My coop is 8x8 and I think it's perfect sized for a backyard!
I free range from about 10am to dark, but I AIM to limit my flock to 12-13 birds, giving them about 4sq ft each inside.

I could cram a whole lot more in there since they free range and it's open air (very little ammonia build up) but I don't want to do that to them.

Are you planning a walk-in style coop? If so, you'll be happy you built it bigger rather than smaller. Raking through the litter and checking that all is in order in the coop is much nicer when you're not constantly bumping up against the walls. We've got 10 Australorps in a 7'x8' coop and I would not want it to be any smaller. It's so nice to be in the coop with the chickens if I need to get close to them to check up on something. I also have the sense that the litter is going to be easier to manage in a larger coop. There are more dry shavings to mix in with the poopy ones - I'm doing the deep litter method without poop boards - and so far so good. My birds have been able to free range during the day since we got them, so they're only pooping up the coop at night. I also think a larger coop gives you more options for ventilation away from roosting birds. I know that smaller coops are better choices for some people, but the larger walk-in style is really the best fit for us.

You also mentioned being able to have the coop closer to the house. Our coop is about 150' from the house and I'm amazed at how convenient it is. I popped some broccoli into the microwave for 3 minutes and then went out to the coop to close all the windows and doors for the night. When I got back inside I still had 15 seconds to go on my veggies. Taking care of the chickens takes surprisingly little time.

My new coop is being built this weekend!
ya.gif
Hopefully it will be finished except for painting tomorrow! We were going to make it 8x8 then decided to go bigger. It's going to be 8x12!
ya.gif
Now I can't wait for the baby chicks! We will probably get 10 or 12 standard size chickens. I'm so excited!
wee.gif

Halfgut, you have instinctively done what we on BYC are always advising our members...Build BIGGER!! It is always good to have more vs. less space due to this strange yet egg-citing condition called chicken addiction!! Trust us, you will be glad to have the space very soon.

welcome-byc.gif
from MN-

Halfgut, if you live where it gets cold and snows, then build as big as you can afford. Some chickens don't like to go out in the snow and will therefore end up spending a fair amount of time indoors during the winter. While larger spaces are harder to keep warm, they tend to be easier to ventilate and keep clean, IMO.

Ignore the claims of pre-built coops on their capacities -- they almost always exaggerate to the extreme. Good rule: more space = happier chickens.

If you'd like more info, go to the blue bar below the header and do a search. You'll be reading the BYC all day long.

Welcome!

I spent good amount of time last night running through designs in my head. I'm going to stay with the 8x8 and modify the design so it doesn't cost quite so much to build. That way it satisfies my desire for a big coop and my desire to save money. It will be a win win all around. I'll post a picture of the deck and location.

Back
Top Bottom