Stop water from freezing

Countryman101

Chirping
Mar 5, 2023
I live in northern part of pennsylvania and it's that time of year again. I use a 55 gallon barrel for my ducks that they drink out of with little dishes that are hooked all around it. You can buy the dishes on amazon. I was wondering what I can do to keep my water from freezing

A heat pad perhaps? It just slides under your set up. But in general I'm going to just buy a heated waterer, I don't know otherwise :D Especially with it being -45*C for the last 2 winters!

I have used heated buckets probably for the last 8 years same ones still working and it's so nice not to have to beat the ice out of something. Sure beats having to carry water out. They do make heater type things that water containers can sit on.

Last edited:
I have a heater that my metal fount can sit on - it takes almost no $ to run, it has an internal thermostat so it kicks on at about 34*, and just keeps the water warm enough to not freeze.

It was 75$ at my farm store....38$ on Amazon
I prefer to shop locally....but I ordered that time!

Anyway- for your set up. Do you have sufficient access from the top that you could put a trough heater inside?
If your barrel is plastic, the do make trough heaters that are “caged”/ safe to use in plastic troughs.

If you only have a small opening at the top....
Unfortunately, I’m not sure how you could protect it apart from heating up the area where it is.
And I’d be afraid those cups might crack if they freeze....
I suggest at least/ also make sure you have several spare cups on hand just in case.

Or, you could make it your “fair weather waterer” and drain it before the cold really sets in- and use a different type of waterer.

How many ducks do you have?

I have a heater that my metal fount can sit on - it takes almost no $ to run, it has an internal thermostat so it kicks on at about 34*, and just keeps the water warm enough to not freeze.

It was 75$ at my farm store....38$ on Amazon
I prefer to shop locally....but I ordered that time!

Anyway- for your set up. Do you have sufficient access from the top that you could put a trough heater inside?
If your barrel is plastic, the do make trough heaters that are “caged”/ safe to use in plastic troughs.

If you only have a small opening at the top....
Unfortunately, I’m not sure how you could protect it apart from heating up the area where it is.
And I’d be afraid those cups might crack if they freeze....
I suggest at least/ also make sure you have several spare cups on hand just in case.

Or, you could make it your “fair weather waterer” and drain it before the cold really sets in- and use a different type of waterer.

How many ducks do you have?

Yes it's a plastic 55 gallon barrel and it's completely open on top. That was my thought as well with those dishes would they freeze with having maybe a 1/2 cup of water in them.. I have about 21 ducks.

Back
Top Bottom