Stopped go in coop at night

Ricognyze

Chirping
May 4, 2022
Minneapolis/St Paul Minnesota
I have 4 hens, 1 year old, three different breeds, all comparably sized. Everything has been going fine until this last week when I go to close their coop door at night I have had a couple of them camping out in the ramp or near the door rather than roosting inside. I hadn’t thought anything of it until now, but for a couple months before I recall seeing one or two not roosting inside. I had thought maybe it got dark and they didn’t get up onto their roosting bars in time since I know they don’t see well at night.
Is this something I should be concerned about?I’d like to get them to go back inside willingly rather than me picking them up and placing them inside.

I did let them outside today and witnessed some mild fighting and had read that bullying could be a thing. If that’s the case, what to do about that? The coop and run is plenty big and have had no problems before.
I’d also considered is it too hot and they prefer the cool outside now that we’ve hit some 90 degree days?

Any and all advise is appreciated. Thank you.

The coop is approximately 40”L x 39"W x 42"H with 3 roosting bars. The size hasn’t been a problem as far as I can tell before. Attached are photos.

I have not checked for mites. When checking where is best to look? Looking for really tiny tiny bugs right?

Thank you.

Attachments

• 4B18C32D-94E9-4CAE-B8F2-5D535A6CA72F.jpeg
    4B18C32D-94E9-4CAE-B8F2-5D535A6CA72F.jpeg
    369.4 KB · Views: 8
  • F241B2E4-CDF8-4B97-B2F4-8A8309343B21.jpeg
    F241B2E4-CDF8-4B97-B2F4-8A8309343B21.jpeg
    346.7 KB · Views: 8
I have not checked for mites. When checking where is best to look? Looking for really tiny tiny bugs right?
-Google images of poultry lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.
-Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

-Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.
-Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).
-Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

The coop is approximately 40”L x 39"W x 42"H with 3 roosting bars. The size hasn’t been a problem as far as I can tell before. Attached are photos.
Pretty tight space for 4 adult birds, and seriously lacking ventilation.
I can understand why they might not want to go inside.
Put a thermometer in there to check temp.

With the coop being plastic and on the smaller side, it might be getting pretty hot for them at night so they prefer to sleep outside. That could be making them a little irritated, making them fight a bit. Mites are less likely to make homes in plastic coops but it definitely doesn’t hurt to check for that too. If your run is completely predator proof, sleeping in the run is fine if the temps are bothering them.

With the coop being plastic and on the smaller side, it might be getting pretty hot for them at night so they prefer to sleep outside. That could be making them a little irritated, making them fight a bit. Mites are less likely to make homes in plastic coops but it definitely doesn’t hurt to check for that too. If your run is completely predator proof, sleeping in the run is fine if the temps are bothering them.
Thank you. I hope you’re right. I will check on the mites this evening if that is when they are active. If heat is the issue I’ll see if I can get a small fan in there for them.

If heat is the issue I’ll see if I can get a small fan in there for them.

A fan in a chicken coop is a fire hazard unless it's rated for barn use or, possible, installed VERY carefully.

Feather dander and bedding dust can build up inside the motor and, if you're lucky, choke it out. Or overheat and start a fire.

A "Chef's hat" turbine is safer, but I prefer fully passive ventilation.

Back
Top Bottom