Stopped Laying Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bamas-Chicks, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Bamas-Chicks

Bamas-Chicks Chirping

May 4, 2019
    COLUMBUS GA
    My gold maran was laying perfect brown eggs everyday,then she laid a lighter brown egg with a thin shell. Since then she hasn't laid an egg in a week and a half. Is this normal? Anyone one have comments or ideas why?

2. Bamas-Chicks

Bamas-Chicks Chirping

May 4, 2019
    COLUMBUS GA
    :hmm

3. Stepnout

Stepnout Songster

May 6, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    I’m thinking the knowledgeable folks here would like to know her age, she might be ready to moult. Any other symptoms. And the weather I believe can turn them of egg production as well. Heat stress etc. Some will ask about feed and living conditions as well.
    Cheers

4. Bamas-Chicks

Bamas-Chicks Chirping

May 4, 2019
    COLUMBUS GA
    She's 1 1\2 year old with no other symptons. She's eating and pooping fine continuing with her normal daily activities. She went from being my best layer to just not laying. No signs of moult or problems with other hens. That's why I'm so puzzled,no change in feed or feeding times or amounts. I keep three 3 gallon waterers full and clean constantly.:confused:

5. MROO

MROO Free Ranging

Have you checked for mites/lice or such? Can you isolate her long enough to get a poo sample you know is hers ... and dare I say, post a picture?

6. coach723

coach723 Crowing

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    If she's acting normal (watch her closely, illness can be subtle) then I would just wait and see. She could be getting ready to molt, and if it's a very soft molt it may not be obvious. Sometimes you have to look hard to find pinfeathers. Any kind of stress can put them off laying. Hot temperatures, a change in the environment or the flock, a predator hanging around after dark. A fecal test would rule out internal parasites.

7. Bamas-Chicks

Bamas-Chicks Chirping

May 4, 2019
    COLUMBUS GA
    This is her,no changes in anything,poop looks good and normal. No mites or lice,no changes to enviroment. 7 hens have a 20 foot by 20 foot fully enclosed pen,that is alays in the shade under a big oak,no time of ,,the day does sunlight hit the it pen. Only thing I can figure out is she just decided to take a break. Absolutely no feathers anywhere so I don't think it's molt. Her comb and wattles are a good rich red and stiff like they should be. She eats like she always has. 20190525_195950.jpg

SurferchickinSB and MROO like this.
  8. MROO

MROO Free Ranging

So far, so good, then. Just keep a close eye on her and make sure she keeps eating and drinking. She sure is a pretty little thing!
    :pop

coach723 likes this.
  9. Bamas-Chicks

Bamas-Chicks Chirping

May 4, 2019
    COLUMBUS GA
    :old

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: