Stopping the goat kids from headbutting people

MissJames

Songster
11 Years
Oct 17, 2008
Coastal SC
The goat kids I bought are a little skittish,but coming around. I am the "deliverer of all good things",food and treats.They are starting to love me,but I want to be careful not to scare them off.I have read you should never allow a kid to headbutt you ,as it can become dangerous when they are older. This has only happened to me once when I was in the doelings way.What do you do to stop it? I want to be prepared if it happens again.I'm asking for specifics.I hate those guides that say not to let something happen,but don't tell you how to handle it.

I asked this same question to the guy I got my goat kids from last year. He said to not push back and pay them any attention. It worked, too. They would come by and push me with their heads and I would just stand there, then they would go away. I guess that if you give them attention, they see it as a reward for butting/pushing.

If they are just pushing on you to get attention, I would definitely follow the advice above. However, if they are banging into you in an aggressive way, the way they would with another goat, give them a firm "No" and maybe even a light rap on the nose with your finger. The minute they back down, approach with a treat and let them know you don't hold a grudge. This isn't cruel or mean and they won't view it that way. It's the human equivalent to what another goat would do if they got too pushy.

All the advice above is great. Never push on a goats head, I don't even pet my goats heads... except for scratching behind their ears. I would also agree that if one of them starts to really 'ram' you - you need to flick them on the nose with your fingers to let them know that it is not acceptable behavior.

People often forget that although certain things are really cute when goats or puppies, etc. are young. That same behavior isn't cute or wanted when that animal grows up. So, always think about what they are doing as babies and decide if you want them to continue that behavior as an adult. An 8 pound kid on your lap is so fun and sweet.... when that kid is 80 or 150 lbs.... not so fun and sweet.

All great advice.Thanks so much. One just tried to push me out of her way to get to food. It hasn't happened again,but if it does I want to stop it. I don't want them to be scared of me,though. Really good advice.Thanks again.

I usually ignore the butting and they usually just stop. If it gets pretty hard butting you I pinch the ear like the other goats do and they dont like that. I dont flick as they take that as agression and its like butting. Just grab the ear and either punch it or twist a little...wont take long for them to get the idea. Some flick and some dont but its either way that works for you. Just dont push back ontheir heads.

Mine have never headbutt me but they get really pushy when it comes to me getting into the shed to get grain. I just grab their ears and pinch them and yell NOOOOOO! Now when they come near the shed I point at them say NO and they listen.

hide.gif
bheila, if I were a goat at your house, I would be a perfect angel!
tongue.png

Quote:
Same with little two legged babies too . . . its soooooo cute when they do something forbidden when they are little, but if they aren't stopped, then it turns into a real uncontrollable situation just like goats!!

Back
Top Bottom