Stopping those egg eating hens! Here are some pictures of my home made roll out nest box! Build it y

BunnyMomma

Songster
9 Years
Sep 17, 2010
Olin, North Carolina
Most of my hens do not eat eggs. I have 17 different breeds and they are all in separate pens and runs. So when I have a problem with one or two hens eating eggs I can put one of these in the coop where they lay their eggs and I can gather my valuable hatching eggs! I needed a temporary solution to this problem until DH has time to build me a few wooden ones. However, this is disposable and it will work until he has time to build them.
All you need to build this nest box is a heavy duty cardboard box, an old dish cloth, a couple of zip ties, and some clear packaging tape. I hope I can explain this sufficiently and I hope it helps some of my BYC friends with their little egg eatin' hens!
bun.gif

It took me about 10 minutes to make one.

First, I folded all of the sides inside the box, but I punched holes in the side of the box, and attached one of the box lids at an angle about 4 inches away from the end of the box.

This leaves a roll in space for the eggs.

Then I took another piece of cardboard (cut it a tiny bit larger that the bottom of the box so that it will fit snugly) and bent it about 4 inches from the top. I used zip ties to attach the dishcloth to the center of the cardboard insert. The dishcloth provides secure footing for the hens to set on the nest.

Next I placed the insert with the folded side on the end away from the roll in. The fold fits at a 90 degree angle flush with the side of the box.

For the angle needed to roll the egg, I folded another piece of cardboard into a triangular tube and taped it to the bottom end of the box to provide the lift.

Last edited:
My chickens will not go in the box . Are there any other ways to get them to stop eating the eggs? Are they missing something from their diet?

My chickens will not go in the box . Are there any other ways to get them to stop eating the eggs? Are they missing something from their diet?

I have read about how some people fill eggs with mustard and put them in the nest for them to eat (they don't like mustard). Also keeping fake eggs or golf balls in the nest is helpful so they peck at them and nothing happens.

What are you feeding?

how long should i keep fake eggs in nestong boxes? i have had them in for about two weeks and it hsa slowed down the egg peckers but not completely... any advice is appreciated.thanks

Back
Top Bottom