Storage room in 8x6 coop

CKfarm22

Crowing
Jul 8, 2021
Central NJ
I want to add a storage room into a 8x6 coop. I don’t want to make the room too big because i want enough space in the chicken area of the coop…..

In my plans right now, I have the store room about 2’9” which would leave 5’3 for the chickens. So the chicken space would be 5’3x6’.

I plan on putting the nesting boxes on this “barrier wall”.

Would the 2’9 room be big enough to store feed, shavings, etc?

How many chickens do you have, and how much run or pen space? You'll have about 31 sq ft of coop space, depending on how you situate the nesting boxes, which is about right for up to 8 chickens. You can get by with a smaller coop size (chicken space) if you have abundant space outside to balance it out.

33" x 72" seems like a good storage space for a small flock, it just depends on what size containers you use and what other things you might store in there besides feed and wood chips. Can you add some shelving for smaller items like oyster shell, coop cleaning tools, extra waterers and feeders, etc.?

How many chickens do you have, and how much run or pen space? You'll have about 31 sq ft of coop space, depending on how you situate the nesting boxes, which is about right for up to 8 chickens. You can get by with a smaller coop size (chicken space) if you have abundant space outside to balance it out.

33" x 72" seems like a good storage space for a small flock, it just depends on what size containers you use and what other things you might store in there besides feed and wood chips. Can you add some shelving for smaller items like oyster shell, coop cleaning tools, extra waterers and feeders, etc.?
I’m building a new coop so i don’t have any chickens yet! I plan on at most 6. The run will be 8’x16’.

To be completely honest, i don’t really plan on putting the feed bag into any sort of container. I do plan on getting a 5gallon bucket for feed that i can bring out to the run to fill feeders. I was planning on building some small shelves to put other chicken stuff on.

As of right now, which this will probably change once i start building, the nesting box is 24” long by 14” deep. I plan on doing 7” of the nesting box into the storage room and 7” into the coop…. but that may change depending on what it looks like

It is handy to have storage near your coop.

Here are the usual guidelines for chickens' space needs:

For each adult, standard-sized hen you need:

• 4 square feet in the coop (.37 square meters)
  • 10 square feet in the run (.93 square meters),
  • 1 linear foot of roost (.3 meters),
  • 1/4 of a nest box,
  • And 1 square foot (.09 square meters) of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.
6 hens
  • 24 square feet in the coop. 4'x6' is the only really practical build for this given the common dimensions of lumber. If you can't walk into it, put the access door in the middle of the long side to make sure you can reach all areas of the coop because a stubborn chicken WILL press itself into/lay an egg in the back corner where you can't reach.
  • 6 feet of roost
  • 60 square feet in the run. 6'x10' or 8'x8'.
  • 6 square feet of ventilation.
  • 2 nest boxes, to give the hens a choice
I happen to have full feed bags, a bale of straw, and a bale of shavings in my storage right now. I will try to remember to take a tape measure out and measure them for you so you can get a good idea of the minimum space required.

It is handy to have storage near your coop.

Here are the usual guidelines for chickens' space needs:

For each adult, standard-sized hen you need:

• 4 square feet in the coop (.37 square meters)
  • 10 square feet in the run (.93 square meters),
  • 1 linear foot of roost (.3 meters),
  • 1/4 of a nest box,
  • And 1 square foot (.09 square meters) of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.
6 hens
  • 24 square feet in the coop. 4'x6' is the only really practical build for this given the common dimensions of lumber. If you can't walk into it, put the access door in the middle of the long side to make sure you can reach all areas of the coop because a stubborn chicken WILL press itself into/lay an egg in the back corner where you can't reach.
  • 6 feet of roost
  • 60 square feet in the run. 6'x10' or 8'x8'.
  • 6 square feet of ventilation.
  • 2 nest boxes, to give the hens a choice
I happen to have full feed bags, a bale of straw, and a bale of shavings in my storage right now. I will try to remember to take a tape measure out and measure them for you so you can get a good idea of the minimum space required.
I’m lucky that i’ve made a coop before. This is for my parents house this time so i’m very aware of the chicken math 😉 and i always go overboard

P.S. If this is for your parents and they are starting to have any physical challenges, it would be advisable to locate nests in such a way that they can collect eggs without bending. Likewise for feeders, etc -- make tending the birds easy because we who are old enough to have adult kids are often a bit creaky in the joints. :D

I plan on doing 7” of the nesting box into the storage room and 7” into the coop
Sounds familiar.

Tho my storage area is much larger.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-coop-page.65912/

I'd want it to store a metal trash can to protect feed from rats. Shelves above that, perhaps. I realize you said that you have no plans to store the feed in the container, but that means your door needs to be perfectly fit to keep rodents out. A metal trash can just makes sense to me.

Beyond that I don't really keep any tools in the coop so I put my storage elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom