Storage shed to Chicken Coop (Updated photo's 4-13-14)

YardBirdMom

Songster
5 Years
Apr 1, 2014
Tryon, Oklahoma
My coop started life as a storage shed that was turned into a tack/feed room for my horses/cows for several years after buying this place. We live in a rural town in Oklahoma on 20.25 acres. Instead of tearing down this building when it's usefulness was over I asked hubby his opinion on converting it into a chicken coop.

We replaced rotten wood along the eve, put a new roof on it with 30# felt paper and 25yr architectural shingles (actually had them from a previous roofing job so no expense there), built nesting boxes, ramp, roosts (below the boxes and may be our only mistake, time will tell), and a 'bridge' going left and right that allows the girls to climb the ramp and go to the nesting box of their choice. They have 16 to choose from!

Hubby on the ground and son on the roof

Ripping off old shingles and tearing out rotting wood

30# felt and new shingles

New roof with flashing (will prevent rotten wood again)

Roosts below, ramp that attaches to the 'bridge' and walking planks in front of nests.

It is not close to being completed. It will get a good sanding inside, primer, paint, and the outside is in primer, but will also be painted. It has a front metal door with screen (have to add the predator proof metal screen that screws into the door) and a metal vent on the opposite wall (behind the ramp, not pictured).

I will post updates as we go and ANY advice is greatly appreciated. My girls are all heavy breeds so we opted for the roosts to be lower on the ground. I did ask hubby if we could lower the nesting boxes and the 'look' said it all, but in his defense the boxes were literally built into the wall and very solidly I might add. It could possibly damage the structure and materials trying to re-do them. I plan on placing removable 'covers' in each box at night so they cannot roost in them and will put very deep bedding so they hopefully won't injure themselves IF they fly down. If a bird gets hurt due to the location of the boxes we will have no choice, but to lower them, but I am crossing my fingers they'll work :)

Last edited:
Looks like a good start, but the chickens will probably never use those roost bars, waaaaay too low. How much headroom over the nestboxes? You could still put the roosts over them, going from one side to the other. Also, I would put sloped cover/roofs over the top of the nestboxes, to further discourage roosting on top of them. I'd also cut some more holes in the coop for ventilation. Fresh air, and a lot of it, is good for the birds. How many birds are you putting in there?

Hello,

Your project looks amazing from the pictures you provided. I opted to build my own chicken coop/run several years ago and did roughly the same thing...with fewer nesting boxes. I would suggest, however, that you consider adding trim to the bottom of the floor around the structural 2x4 or 2x6 that is pictured in the last photograph. I made the mistake of not doing this in my own coop and later added it to simplify the cleaning process.

By installing a trim piece, about 6-8 inches tall, will allow you to shovel out bedding and waste materials more easily. Before making this upgrade to my own coop the waste materials compacted to the corners of the support lumber. This caused the lumber to prematurely rot which caused me to lose the facility after a few years.

I hope this helps...and make sure you keep everyone updated...

JackE,
As I said, it is a work in progress. I am currently searching for windows that will provide more sunshine as well as ventilation :) It is a learning process to be sure!
We played with the idea of the roosts over the nests, but since we're choosing very heavy breeds I was concerned with them hopping down and breaking legs. But, the chicks are babies and we have plenty of time to correct any errors. I will have 41 chickens including the roosters. I do like the idea of the sloping top on the nesting boxes!! Thanks for the input!

Hello,

Your project looks amazing from the pictures you provided. I opted to build my own chicken coop/run several years ago and did roughly the same thing...with fewer nesting boxes.

By installing a trim piece, about 6-8 inches tall, will allow you to shovel out bedding and waste materials more easily. Before making this upgrade to my own coop the waste materials compacted to the corners of the support lumber. This caused the lumber to prematurely rot which caused me to lose the facility after a few years.

I hope this helps...and make sure you keep everyone updated...

I LOVE this idea and can see how it could be an issue without the boards, thank you!
I've seen some others that put down linoleum and wish I could do that, but our building was already built so will make do with what I have :)

I am rethinking the amount of nesting boxes. One side had the nests, the other side had roosts. I really liked the looks of that and could add another two boxes to make 10 total.

Will talk to my hubby and see what we can do, but I dread it! He is going to want to 'kill' me for making changes this late lol

Last edited:
As far as the floor goes, check out the link below.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_70989-29-60...ack&pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=blackjack&facetInfo=

I've had this stuff down in my coop for over 4yrs. And it, and my coop's floor, looks as good as the day I put it in there. Unlike vinyl or linoleum, this stuff bonds and becomes a part of the floor. Nothing, can get under it and damage the floor, unlike what you could run into with vinyl or linoleum. If it can protect a roof, from every kind of weather year round, protecting a coop's floor is nothing to it.
As far as your roosts go. You can either put them above the nests, or have crap filled nestboxes and filthy eggs. If you put the roosts over the nestboxes, the chickens will probably hop down to the nestbox shelf/walkway, then hop down the rest of the way. How high is that shelf, 2' or so? That height is no big deal. You will have bedding of some kind in there, so they won't break their legs. You don't even need that ramp, its just in the way. My roosts are at 36" high, and all my birds are big heavy breeds, and they don't have any problems at all hopping up and down.
How big is the former shed, soon to be coop? 41 birds, They are going to need some space.

Thanks JackE! The floor is covered by the material you suggested. The building/coop is an 8'x12' or 96 sq ft. The run is going to be 12'x21' covered. By the end of the summer there will be another coop and smaller covered run for me to separate certain breeds, likely the Buff Rocks with their rooster so I can raise some purebred babies. Which takes the 8x12 down to housing 30 mature birds, plenty of room. :)

Off to make a shopping list!

UPDATE: 04/03/2014

The carport arrived today (more than two weeks ahead of schedule) and was assembled in 38 minutes from the time of arrival until they were picking up their drills and tools!!! Things are starting to take shape!! We'll be working inside the coop to correct a few things and create proper roosts! I'm getting SO excited :D

Last edited:
I have new pictures of the progress of our coop. We worked hard today ... We're all exhausted, but the results were SO worth the effort! It is starting to really LOOK like a real coop!!
I'm playing with some names, but am not sharing those just yet
wink.png

BEFORE

AFTER
Building painted with trim partially done (Notice the storage building in the background - while not the exact same color they are in the same families and match fairly well)

This is the east side with ALL painting done!

This is the front - DONE! (Am thinking of painting the small door red though - any thoughts??)

This is the West side - DONE! Hubby and son (Hunter) are measuring, but I'm keeping why a secret for now :)

Funny story - The boy in the window accidentally locked the door
lau.gif
and was voluntold to crawl through the back window opening (thank the Lord for small favors it wasn't in there solid, yet) LOL

Almost there!!

Whew! Good thing he's as skinny as thin spaghetti!!
clap.gif

As you see this is a very narrow opening and construction going on inside did not make his entry easy :D Breaking the door was averted and all is well! Just one of the many oop'sies that happen during projects around our house!

We are making progress - tomorrow, if the weather holds, we will finish the interior and put in two windows!

Wow...you've made a lot of progress in the construction of your coop. Have you given any thought to the breed and quantity of chickens you will have?

Back
Top Bottom