Store bought coop... I know, bad idea.. too late

So far, I’ve done everything wrong with my flock. I bought 7 chicks from a local Chicken Trade Days. I didn’t know HOW to pick a chick, so I let my daughter pick what she wanted. It’s been 6 weeks and I’ve learned a lot. I have one that’s clearly older than the others, one with a turned out foot, and probably 5 of the 7 are Roos (that I can’t have because where I live has an ordinance against crowing). I’ve had to separate the larger one because he’s a bully. I also bought a coop from Atwood’s. I know. Well, now I know. I’ll post a pick of the coop. I try to get picks of the flock, but most of them hate me. I’m trying, guys. I really am.
I live in East Texas. I live on about an acre. They can't free range because of roaming dogs.
I want happy healthy pet chickens who also provide eggs for food and fertilizer for my very small garden. I have no desire to hatch. I may try pullets next time, as the roos will have to go as soon as they start crowing.
View attachment 2648839View attachment 2648841View attachment 2648842View attachment 2648846View attachment 2648847View attachment 2648849View attachment 2648850View attachment 2648851
Your coop needs to be protected around the bottom. Animals can dig right into your coop. For store bought, it is not bad. The ladder is not good. Chickens need a board with small boards to act as steps Put a board underneath the ladder. The feeder is way too small, as well the water container.. Being a newbie just expect a learning curve, we have all been there.

Oh dear. You do live and learn when venturing into the land of chickens. It`s a nice looking coup though. It will be easy to add on to if you decide to buy more hens. Go for pullets. Life will be easier. Chicken keeping really is fun for your family. Good luck.

Texas weather is hard. East Texas tells me hot and humid with a few cold spells in winter. Born raised 60± years here in Texas from East Texas-now central (close to Bryan/College Station). Your doing great! Coops are tricky. Try to remember to reduce heat and don't worry about cold. We all buy/use down jackets, chickens have theirs naturally.
You have your wire run, wooden coop with roost bar and nest box and most importantly--chickens! Good start!
It's all about learning what works what doesn't and enjoying life.
If you can't have roo's, then figure out what to do with them. Rehome, cull (kill and eat), sell, give away. Before long you WILL know the boys. My coop is prefab-but it works. I did have a dog attack that damaged it, I repaired it, then reinforced entire outside with welded wire. It's not purty, but it works.
Good point. My coop stays open to the run at all times and they made it through the snow with no problems at all.

Your coop needs to be protected around the bottom. Animals can dig right into your coop. For store bought, it is not bad. The ladder is not good. Chickens need a board with small boards to act as steps Put a board underneath the ladder. The feeder is way too small, as well the water container.. Being a newbie just expect a learning curve, we have all been there.
CB782B4F-C5C3-4C43-94EB-B39117FBC6F5.jpeg

like this??

Happy Mother’s Day to all the chicken Mommas!!
Thank you all for your responses!! We bought a brand name outdoor paint. Weather permitting, we will paint next weekend.
The plan is to buy a 10x10x6 dog yard and put the coop to one side. (We will also buy a cover for it). Then, we will reinforce the bottom with building cloth (? Might be the wrong name?)

It looks like we will only be able to keep 4 of these babies. Two of them are silkies. I read that silkies don’t like to be as high up as the others. Suggestions for how to keep them happy???

Angle on the ramp might be ok, but if the birds still struggle to use it, prop up the bottom on a cinderblock and that'll reduce the angle.

The plan is to buy a 10x10x6 dog yard and put the coop to one side. (We will also buy a cover for it). Then, we will reinforce the bottom with building cloth (? Might be the wrong name?)

Consider aproning hardware cloth around the perimeter instead of putting it underneath: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-project.1169916/page-2#post-18481100 - likely cheaper and easier to install, and much better on a chicken's feet.

Get some mealworms and make them eat them from your hand. It will train them to come to you and trust you.
I agree, live mealworms are great. You can order them online pretty inexpensive compared to getting them at a pet store. Mealworms are why my chicks love me and think I'm the momma hen.

I didn't read all 7 pages, but I just wanted to say your chickens don't hate you. Don't take their behavior personally. They are prey animals and it's natural for them to fear large scary creatures like ... humans. Over time they will learn to trust you if you don't move abruptly, speak softly and give them nice treats occasionally like mealworms. Have fun and enjoy!

So far, I’ve done everything wrong with my flock. I bought 7 chicks from a local Chicken Trade Days. I didn’t know HOW to pick a chick, so I let my daughter pick what she wanted. It’s been 6 weeks and I’ve learned a lot. I have one that’s clearly older than the others, one with a turned out foot, and probably 5 of the 7 are Roos (that I can’t have because where I live has an ordinance against crowing). I’ve had to separate the larger one because he’s a bully. I also bought a coop from Atwood’s. I know. Well, now I know. I’ll post a pick of the coop. I try to get picks of the flock, but most of them hate me. I’m trying, guys. I really am.
I live in East Texas. I live on about an acre. They can't free range because of roaming dogs.
I want happy healthy pet chickens who also provide eggs for food and fertilizer for my very small garden. I have no desire to hatch. I may try pullets next time, as the roos will have to go as soon as they start crowing.
View attachment 2648839View attachment 2648841View attachment 2648842View attachment 2648846View attachment 2648847View attachment 2648849View attachment 2648850View attachment 2648851
Well, you are doing a lot better than me. My poor little chicks are still living in a swimming pool in my garage! Hoping to build a run and coop this weekend. I may not get the coop done and will end up buying one. I don't see what is wrong with your coop.

Back
Top Bottom