1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Store egg vs. Pasture Egg

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Bil, May 9, 2009.

1. Bil

Bil Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Cottage Grove, OR
    Cooked up my first 2 eggs yesterday and also cooked up a store bought white egg to compare. LOVED my eggs!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bil

2. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    You will never look at store eggs the same! Also, you might want to look up how much more nutritional your eggs are compared to store eggs, you will be surprised!

3. LilbitChicken

LilbitChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    GREAT photo comparison! We are JUST getting our chickens on Sunday... can't wait for our own eggs....NOT store bought! There REALLY is a difference![​IMG]

4. selinagil

selinagil Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't remember ever eating a fresh egg until I got my own chikens. They are so rich and yummy!!![​IMG]

5. addiedunn

addiedunn Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Hey! I have those same dishes! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. silentrunning

silentrunning Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    Venice, Florida
    Quote:Us too! Since we discovered that patern our dishwasher is just sitting there. [​IMG]

Doug

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    This article on egg nutrition was in Mother Earth News. I'm not sure of the actual science that went into this as I think the values would depend greatly on the pasture (bugs and greens), the time of year, how long they are on pasture each day, etc, but the basic premise makes sense to me.

In my opinion, you don't have to free range over fifty acres all day every day to get a benefit. Just do the best you can with what you have and you've done your best.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/2005-08-01/Free-Range-Eggs.aspx

8. Bil

Bil Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Cottage Grove, OR
    Quote:Us too! Since we discovered that patern our dishwasher is just sitting there. [​IMG]

Doug

ROFLOL!!! It's our favorite set!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Ridgerunner,

Thanks for the article. Ours have free range of our 5 acres all day from about 7:00 am - 8:00 pm (less in the winter) so we hope that we will get some of the benefits. [​IMG]

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I had 4 boiled eggs for breakfast this morning. Gotta love that protein and how long you feel full.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by