Stories of Smart Chickens

Lady Lionheart

Songster
Jun 16, 2018
Pueblo Colorado
DBF00B0D-772A-4004-9B1A-456A1270746A.jpeg
On this cold snowy day (at least for me), I'd like to hear stories of how smart your chickens are. I always hear about how stupid chickens are, but in my experience, they are actually quite crafty! Please share the fun times!

CannedMonster

Free Ranging
Nov 26, 2017
Southwest Idaho
I don’t know if it’s a story about how smart they are but my chickens have definitely noticed my different clothing recently.
I’m wearing a warm purple winter coat now instead of my red/black jacket that they’re used to.
Yesterday I wore the purple coat for the first time and my 4 month old Australorp cockerel, Oliver, stopped in his tracks.
He kept looking from the coat to my face.
Like he wondered if it was really me.
I spoke softly to him so he could hear my familiar voice and he finally came out.
And again this morning I had a knit hat on for the first time and my 8 month old cockerel, Angus, approached me and stopped about 3 feet away and looked from my face to my head over and over again.
I spoke to him as he did this, crouching down so he could see me better.
After about 1-2 minutes he seemed to decide it was me and walked away.

Lady Lionheart

Songster
Jun 16, 2018
Pueblo Colorado
I don’t know if it’s a story about how smart they are but my chickens have definitely noticed my different clothing recently.
I’m wearing a warm purple winter coat now instead of my red/black jacket that they’re used to.
Yesterday I wore the purple coat for the first time and my 4 month old Australorp cockerel, Oliver, stopped in his tracks.
He kept looking from the coat to my face.
Like he wondered if it was really me.
I spoke softly to him so he could hear my familiar voice and he finally came out.
And again this morning I had a knit hat on for the first time and my 8 month old cockerel, Angus, approached me and stopped about 3 feet away and looked from my face to my head over and over again.
I spoke to him as he did this, crouching down so he could see me better.
After about 1-2 minutes he seemed to decide it was me and walked away.
That's definitely a testimony to how smart they are. I have heard of this behavior! Maybe when it stops snowing I'll go test it out with my own. Thanks for sharing!

Top Bottom