Storing Eggs - please weigh in

ChickenLady&aRooster

In the Brooder
Aug 20, 2017
South Carolina
Wondering how people store their eggs.

Do you refrigerate or not?

If not how long do you leave them out for?

If you refrigerate how long do you keep them especially over the winter with lower egg production?

How often do you collect your eggs?

I do leave mine in a wire basket on the table in late fall, winter and early spring when its a bit cooler in the house (under 72 degrees) for up to 3 weeks but otherwise I refrigerate. I collect eggs every few days only because I have 3 hens laying in the same box and it tends to get a bit crowded and then one decides to sit on them and I don't need anymore chicks.

All eggs are laid by the hen with a thin protective coating to keep the eggs safe. In industrial farms they thoroughly wash their eggs and as a result that protective coat is removed. Because of this store bought eggs must be refrigerated, however, your farm fresh eggs (as long as you dont wash and scrub them) can be stored on your kitchen counter or wherever for up to 3 weeks, 2 weeks being the best. This is the same throughout all seasons, although its best to keep the eggs at room temperatures.
~MairyMai~

All eggs are laid by the hen with a thin protective coating to keep the eggs safe. In industrial farms they thoroughly wash their eggs and as a result that protective coat is removed. Because of this store bought eggs must be refrigerated, however, your farm fresh eggs (as long as you dont wash and scrub them) can be stored on your kitchen counter or wherever for up to 3 weeks, 2 weeks being the best. This is the same throughout all seasons, although its best to keep the eggs at room temperatures.
~MairyMai~

I wipe them clean with a dry cloth but only wash them when I am ready to use them no matter where I am storing them. Always best to keep the protective coat on them, they stay fresher longer

What everyone said.... Advance your chances to have clean eggs by keeping the nest boxes clean... or use rollout nests if you can...

If you have an over production of eggs that you know you wont be using and want to save them you Can freeze....

For eggs you will be using for cooking you can scramble them and pour them into a freezer safe container... Freeze them in ice cube trays then toss the cubes into a bag. Same eggs can be used for scrambled eggs or quiche.

There are other storage methods but those are for very long term well beyond the Slack off period that moult or winter will do... Involves packing them with salt and newspaper or muslin and putting them into Crocks... WE are talking 1700s recipes. Interesting history lesson for sure... you can find methods on You tube.

The Chinese and Pacific Islanders have some methods too... But From what I have seen they are an "aquired" taste.

deb

I wipe them clean with a dry cloth but only wash them when I am ready to use them no matter where I am storing them. Always best to keep the protective coat on them, they stay fresher longer

Ok, this is an "older" thread but so confused....
I have 4 BOs who lay every day, I collect every day & put them in egg cartons on the counter. When the carton is full I put in the frig, washing (tap water) prior to using. My thinking the bloom "protecting" the eggs until use. My girls shells are VERY thick.

Have read eggs should be wash prior to going in the frig due to the cold from the frig will open up the pores of the shell & absorb bacteria. Also the water shouldn't be cooler than 20* from the egg.

Does it matter by State?

Ok, this is an "older" thread but so confused....
I have 4 BOs who lay every day, I collect every day & put them in egg cartons on the counter. When the carton is full I put in the frig, washing (tap water) prior to using. My thinking the bloom "protecting" the eggs until use. My girls shells are VERY thick.

Have read eggs should be wash prior to going in the frig due to the cold from the frig will open up the pores of the shell & absorb bacteria. Also the water shouldn't be cooler than 20* from the egg.

Does it matter by State?
Each state has it's own rule/law about keeping/storing eggs that are for sale.
Do you sell your eggs for eating?

Back
Top Bottom