Storing eggs

JoePa

Songster
11 Years
Apr 18, 2011
Lehigh County Pa.
I have watched people put unwashed eggs in a container filled with pickeling lime and store them for long periods of time - each time it appears that they are using large glass containers to put the eggs in - I buy pretzels that come in large plastic containers - I was wondering if these can be used for this purpose or do you think that the lime would react with the plastic and spoil the eggs - I guess you can call the plastic pretzel container food grade - I buy the pretzels at Costco

The Mother Earth News conducted an exhaustive study on the best storage of eggs and most of the methods including sand and the one you mentioned were less successful than unwashed eggs in a sealed container in the refrigerator.

https://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/how-to-store-fresh-eggs-zmaz77ndzgoe

It was epic because they used 720 eggs in a 6 month study. Some of the methods ruined the eggs in just a few weeks. Those in the sealed refrigerated container were still good after 6 months.
Sealing the container prevents too much moisture loss. Leaving them unwashed keeps the protective cuticle in place.

Last edited:
The mother ;earth news conducted an exhaustive study on the best storage of eggs and most of the methods including sand and the one you mentioned were less successful than unwashed eggs in a sealed container in the refrigerator.

https://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/how-to-store-fresh-eggs-zmaz77ndzgoe

It was epic because they used 720 eggs in a 6 month study. Some of the methods ruined the eggs in just a few weeks. Those in the sealed refrigerated container were still good after 6 months.
Sealing the container prevents too much moisture loss. Leaving them unwashed keeps the protective cuticle in place.
thanks

I have watched people put unwashed eggs in a container filled with pickeling lime and store them for long periods of time - each time it appears that they are using large glass containers to put the eggs in - I buy pretzels that come in large plastic containers - I was wondering if these can be used for this purpose or do you think that the lime would react with the plastic and spoil the eggs - I guess you can call the plastic pretzel container food grade - I buy the pretzels at Costco
I’ve tried this technique and I’m using a 5 gallon plastic container with lid… stored 84 eggs on 10/27/21…. Used 24 of them the other day…. Look on YouTube and watch a video! It works!!

I have no experience other than reading that you can use plastic.
Make sure it is “new” plastic! I learned the hard way that old plastic will degrade and crack. I ruined the wood floor in my piano room when the plastic container I was water glassing eggs in cracked 😱

Back
Top Bottom