Storing Potatoes?

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
So I had a few questions about storing potatoes.

I hope someone can help me with this.

These questions came from my own experiments with them.

I've already learned to store them in the basement or cool dark places like cellars. I know to put dirt around them and that storing them in dirt boxes works.

BUT what I WANT to really know is what's the longest you can store them and still have them be edible?

When I stored last year's potatoes they looked really terrible by the time it was time to plant again in the spring. Naturally, some of this was because I'd made a mistake with too many air pockets in the box I'd stored them in. At the time I couldn't risk losing any extra good top soil, because I needed it. I wish I'd done it differently on this part, to see how much better it would have turned out if I'd had them fully covered all over with dirt.

And the year before that I stored some and got to spring also. But having seed potatoes...the quality by then isn't always edible. You can have a mangy thing wrinkled potato that will work for seed potatoes but not really be something you'd dare to eat. (I have really planted this kind and they will produce good potatoes that are just fine.)

But at that time I wasn't thinking that far ahead in terms of, what if I actually do need to know how to store them? And just practical applied skills, how do you store them (edible) for as long as possible? This is also a question for applied skills. People with applied life skills and applied skills generally are much better prepared for life than people who only deal with theory.

In schools, also they will tell you that kids who are learning applied skills will be better off and more able to endure in life. So I want applied skills. And Gardening is a life skill.

I hope by explaining some of the things I'm thinking about like this will help others also along the way. Maybe others are thinking similar questions also?

There's also the problem of counting the days between when you plant and when you'd be planting next year. If I harvest potatoes in the fall, and then plant in the spring, technically I've only learned how to store about 4 months (plus or minus a bit depending on your zone). This would mean you've not really learned how to feed yourself if you only know how to store them until spring planting. To really be truly self sufficient technically you'd have to know how to store them from fall harvest to AT least next year's harvest, because you'd technically have to be able to eat what you grew without it looking like a mangy death plague seed until the next fall's harvest.

Here's what I try to do: I plant some the earliest I can in the spring, around April (I'm in zone 6b), that way I can start having some new baby potatoes, and some for storage for the early part of the year, and then at the end of this money, May, or June, I will plant the rest of my crop that will buy me another two months of storage for those potatoes. I chose three varieties, including a russet, which is known for it's large size and long storage time. This year I am trying something new: I have read that by wrapping them in newspaper or parchment paper they will last longer. This still may not be a "years supply" but should be close and will certainly give me seed potatoes for the following year.

I store my potatoes in our well house. Its dark and winter temps stay between 40-45F. I plant potatoes in mid march (zone 6a). I leave the potatoes in the ground even after the leaves die all summer unless we are getting a lot of rain harvesting as needed from the garden. In late Aug early Sept we dig and store dirty potatoes (usually btw 100-150lbs) in a wooden crate.

In jan, i take 20-30lbs worth inside the house and keep them in low light. The warmer temps and light induce sprouting. These become my seed potatoes.

The remaining are eaten by late may. So not a full year but 10 months or so.

BTW - never store potatoes with onions. Your taters won't keep.

Here's what I try to do: I plant some the earliest I can in the spring, around April (I'm in zone 6b), that way I can start having some new baby potatoes, and some for storage for the early part of the year, and then at the end of this money, May, or June, I will plant the rest of my crop that will buy me another two months of storage for those potatoes. I chose three varieties, including a russet, which is known for it's large size and long storage time. This year I am trying something new: I have read that by wrapping them in newspaper or parchment paper they will last longer. This still may not be a "years supply" but should be close and will certainly give me seed potatoes for the following year.
Thanks. That's an interesting idea.

I hope others post on it.

Also, because with stuff like Round UP (Monsanto) etc, I wouldn't be surprised if the stuff they are using to commercially spray potatoes to stop them from sprouting eyes (regarding potatoes in stores) will likewise eventually be shown to not be good for humans.

I am in 6b..... do you think May is too late to plant? My intention was to plant at the end of March but we are building our entire homestead up from scratch starting in September '19. House repairs, greenhouse, barn repairs, building the garden, installing beehives. I just haven't had the chance yet to plant them! I've got maybe 50 lbs of seed potatoes waiting to go in the ground.
You should be ok. I have planted potatoes as late as the 3rd week in may. The biggest factors that i have had with such late planting dates is heat and lack if moisture. Plant in mid-late may, sprouts break the surface in early june, start growing vigorously in mid-late june and BAM! a hot dry spell hits. The late planting does not allow as well of an established root system and heat and drought stress may result in weakening plants susceptible to disease or under developed potatoes (small).

They are also prime targets for pests so be vigilant.

Potatoes are pretty tough so this is of course dependent upon just how long the dry spell lasts and watering (not too much) if need be can nurse them through.

Harvest dates will be pushed back until probably early September.

Definitely put them in asap though and you'll be fine.

I am in 6b..... do you think May is too late to plant? My intention was to plant at the end of March but we are building our entire homestead up from scratch starting in September '19. House repairs, greenhouse, barn repairs, building the garden, installing beehives. I just haven't had the chance yet to plant them! I've got maybe 50 lbs of seed potatoes waiting to go in the ground.
Good luck on your homestead btw! It sounds like you are off to a great start. I started the same process 3yrs ago with the house/property we bought.

The house was in rough shape so i have put a lot of time and money into fixing it up myself. We are in the mountains so the soils are heavy clay and rock. Nevertheless, with a lot of hardwork dedicated to soil improvement, each year my little 110' x 50' garden has been producing awesome crops! Based upon grocery store prices, it has saved us over $1000 each season. Now I am looking to expand.

Our fruit orchards and nut groves should start producing more by next year and our "edible landscape" is starting to provide seasonal berry harvests.

We get 75% of our meat from wild game. Deer, wild turkey, rabbit, and squirrels are abundant and are a staple at our dinner table. The chickens obviously provide meat and eggs and we expect to have goats by this January.

Larger farm stock is planned for the future but it will be a few years yet.

My goal is to be self sufficient on food and buy only basics (flour, sugar, coffee, spices, etc). We are looking into solar power for energy.

Right now I am giving our food suplus away to family and friends, but may try to sell it at the local farmers market for additional income.

In any case, it has been an incredible journey and one that you are embarking on with I'm sure the same passion and enthusiasm that I have. It can feel overwhelming at times as the work load continues to grow, but it is so rewarding when the fruits of your labor enjoyed.

You should be ok. I have planted potatoes as late as the 3rd week in may. The biggest factors that i have had with such late planting dates is heat and lack if moisture. Plant in mid-late may, sprouts break the surface in early june, start growing vigorously in mid-late june and BAM! a hot dry spell hits. The late planting does not allow as well of an established root system and heat and drought stress may result in weakening plants susceptible to disease or under developed potatoes (small).

They are also prime targets for pests so be vigilant.

Potatoes are pretty tough so this is of course dependent upon just how long the dry spell lasts and watering (not too much) if need be can nurse them through.

Harvest dates will be pushed back until probably early September.

Definitely put them in asap though and you'll be fine.
Thanks! I have been worried about drought, but not heat as much. That portion of the yard is shaded after about 3PM so I was hoping that would help! I've never grown potatoes before. I was contemplating expanding my irrigation system to that portion of the garden but not sure I'm ready for that investment yet either.

Good luck on your homestead btw! It sounds like you are off to a great start. I started the same process 3yrs ago with the house/property we bought.

The house was in rough shape so i have put a lot of time and money into fixing it up myself. We are in the mountains so the soils are heavy clay and rock. Nevertheless, with a lot of hardwork dedicated to soil improvement, each year my little 110' x 50' garden has been producing awesome crops! Based upon grocery store prices, it has saved us over $1000 each season. Now I am looking to expand.

Our fruit orchards and nut groves should start producing more by next year and our "edible landscape" is starting to provide seasonal berry harvests.

We get 75% of our meat from wild game. Deer, wild turkey, rabbit, and squirrels are abundant and are a staple at our dinner table. The chickens obviously provide meat and eggs and we expect to have goats by this January.

Larger farm stock is planned for the future but it will be a few years yet.

My goal is to be self sufficient on food and buy only basics (flour, sugar, coffee, spices, etc). We are looking into solar power for energy.

Right now I am giving our food surplus away to family and friends, but may try to sell it at the local farmers market for additional income.

In any case, it has been an incredible journey and one that you are embarking on with I'm sure the same passion and enthusiasm that I have. It can feel overwhelming at times as the work load continues to grow, but it is so rewarding when the fruits of your labor enjoyed.

Thank you! Your journey sounds so similar to mine. And our house is in need of a ton of repairs. We are still running on original knob and tube electrical wiring! We had to gut the bathroom before we could even use it and had to go number #2 in a bucket on our porch for the first two days. I'll never take a toilet for granted again! Nothing like a midnight trip to the "bucket" when you can hear coyotes yipping fifty feet away!

My goals are similar. I'd like to grow all of my own produce except for a few niche items, herbs, and of course pantry staples like grains, coffee, and sugar. I'd like to venture into meat chickens and dairy goats someday too.

I have a few connections willing to take part in a small co-op so I am hoping to generate a small income enough to cover the costs of manure, irrigation, and buying seeds, but this is the first year with a garden this size so we shall see!

Good luck with your goals! They are totally achievable!

Guess I was wrong on the date of the sweet potatoes, three years old!!!
these are the ones I'm getting starts from right now

And those multiplier potato onions
Screenshot_2020-05-16-23-09-14.png
Screenshot_2020-05-16-23-03-48.png
Screenshot_2020-05-16-23-04-03.png

I store my potatoes in our well house. Its dark and winter temps stay between 40-45F. I plant potatoes in mid march (zone 6a). I leave the potatoes in the ground even after the leaves die all summer unless we are getting a lot of rain harvesting as needed from the garden. In late Aug early Sept we dig and store dirty potatoes (usually btw 100-150lbs) in a wooden crate.

In jan, i take 20-30lbs worth inside the house and keep them in low light. The warmer temps and light induce sprouting. These become my seed potatoes.

The remaining are eaten by late may. So not a full year but 10 months or so.

BTW - never store potatoes with onions. Your taters won't keep.

May is the best time to plant! You aren't too late!

Here in Utah EVERYONE plants in May because we always have a late frost right up until the last day of April! This is basically permanently like this, every year. Even now we still have snow on the tops of the mountains (but not in the valleys, and valley floors). Last year we had snow on the mountain tops until almost July; but that's a weird exception, its usually gone by then.

People in the Midwest sometimes plant later also when they are in flood watches.

You should be OK planting pretty much right up until end of May. Especially with potatoes because they are a root vegetable which weathers the sun better when the heat gets pretty intense.

You can probably plant other things besides potatoes even with this same cycle. But if you have seedlings coming up in the ground when you get that awful July heat sometimes you have to be creative with keeping them alive. But for potatoes you won't have to worry about that.

Over here we can plant most things, however, anything that takes up to 120 days or 110 days we have a hard time with here and it can be cutting it close. People do get corn to work here just fine. But for some reason I had a lot of trouble with sweet potatoes. I grew and planted sweet potato slips and the combination of needing tons of growing degree days, and low soil fertility (clay soil), etc we didn't do well. I would probably hypothesize you could probably avoid some of the vegetables that use huge numbers of days like sweet potatoes when you are planting later, and just plant the other stuff that you know will finish in time. But even then you can go with what the locals in your area can give you more specific data on. (Sweet potatoes are ~120 days).

Back
Top Bottom