Storing Your Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sarastamand, Jun 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. sarastamand

sarastamand Chirping

Jan 25, 2019
    Grantham, NH
    What's the best way to keep them freshest the longest? Our 8 lady's turned 18 weeks old today so we are gearing up to start collecting eggs! Is it better to refrigerate them or just keep them out? How long do they last each way? Do you wash them?

2. Refrigeration keeps them fresher longer.
    Yes, i wash as i sell my eggs.

MomJones likes this.
  3. IamRainey

IamRainey Songster

I don't wash mine unless they've gotten really poopy.

I refrigerate mine. Why not? I have room in the fridge and my girls lay far more than we ever get to. By the time they're a week old I've found someone who wants some of those that have been in there the longest. At 7 days I feel good that they still have a couple weeks to use them up while, nevertheless, having fresh eggs that probably beat anything in a grocery store.

If your eggs don't accumulate that fast you don't have to refrigerate them. Except for the ones you've washed. Once you wash off the hen's impermeable coating they will need to be refrigerated.

Wait until you poach an egg that's a couple hours out of the hen! You'll feel just like Juila Child beholding a tight round ball of pretty and yummy. I love poached eggs but I used to dread the frustration and disappointment. Now I just love doing them! No equipment -- just some hot water, a splash of vinegar, a truly fresh egg and a couple minutes.

MomJones likes this.
  4. Sueby

Sueby Songster

Apr 23, 2019
    CT
    I keep mine in an egg skelter on the counter, I only have 4 hens so they don't pile up & get used within a week. I don't wash them because they never get poopy.

Attached Files:

5. IamRainey

IamRainey Songster

Egg skelters are so cool but hella expensive!

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I sell most of my eggs. I do not wash them and do refrigerate them.
    IMG_20170816_125734.jpg

7. MomJones

MomJones Songster

Feb 22, 2019
    South Carolina
    That's so cool! Wish we could do that here but you have to have a license, which would involve inspections, certifications, and other things I do not agree with like forced vaccinations. So we give ours away every week. Eggs for the people.

8. MomJones

MomJones Songster

Feb 22, 2019
    South Carolina
    Aw look at your beautiful girls! We have a bunch of big girls who like to track dirt and poo everywhere so I wash mine, dry them to get debris off and then refrigerate them. Once a week we take about 4 dozen or so into work and give them away.

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I sell my eggs according to the regulations for our Dept of Ag. The eggs must be refrigerated at no higher than 45ºF. There is a permit but when I went to a seminar the speakers said that if you comply with the rules all is ok. A lot of people don't get the permit which of course costs money and sell their eggs. Many people raise chickens and most sell some of their eggs. Legally I can't sell the eggs off of my property unless it is at an event such as a farmers market.

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Any dirty eggs I wash and we eat. I work hard at keeping the nest boxes clean so we don't get dirty eggs but of course every once in awhile one might get broken in a nest box.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: