Stormcrow's Hobby Farm

Pics
I'm a bad photographer - and didn't want to mess with things too much for fear momma might abandon them.

That was supposed to be pic of baby bunnies - buth they were all sleeping next to one another as one big fur bundle, and the camera didn't know where to focus!
Whew.
:bun I've wanted to use this emoji for a long time!

BETTER pic of babby bunnies - or at least one of them - in frame several others still sleeping up agains the wall of the box. and you can see some of the seeds/fuzz/whathaveyou from one of my pasture grasses,

1697584474492.png

The way I did it:
--cage has a wire mesh floor
--nestbox is a separate box (made of wood, or metal with a wood floor.)
--nestbox goes in the cage 28 days after the doe is bred (= 3 days before she is due.)
--nestbox goes in any corner EXCEPT where the doe usually poops

That typically worked out fine-- the doe kept using her familar bathroom corner, and had about the right amount of time to get used to the box & make a nest before giving birth in it.

Of course your does might be different. Individual variation, and different climates, can make enormous differences in what is the "best" way to care for any kind of animal
Lost this.

This is what we did. A friend had special cages made where the nest box was actually below the floor so babies couldn't fall out.

Pretty Bird!
View attachment 3662366

Now just needs to start laying and produce large eggs at better than moderate frequency

(Pattern is more pronounced in person - cell phone photo doesn't do it justice)
I had a naked neck that color. Her daughter had a more pronounced pattern

Back
Top Bottom