Stormcrow's Hobby Farm

Pics
Gorrila cart tires in the front. Legs in the back. Use wheelbarror arms for moving it, slot them in. Maybe 4' x 4' cage. Probably build a box in one corner for the wind and rain, so I don't have to roof the whole thing. Maybe green polycarbonate?
For rabbits, I would definitely roof the whole thing. Rabbits do better with plenty of shade, and when they do not get wet from rain.

I'm not sure which kind of polycarbonate you have in mind-- opaque might be fine, but I do not think transparent would be a good choice for a roof over rabbits.

Other than the roof, your idea sounds to me like it might work well.

Will try your recipe next time - my wife got started while I was grocery shopping. She read a bunch of recipes online, closed all the windows, and is doing a blend of what she remembers - her usual approach to cooking.

Natural pectin jam is an art rather than a science. I have only had a natural one fail once -- because those cherries didn't have enough pectin to jell even with the lemon -- but the artificial ones are only 50-50 for me.

She's doing EXACTLY what I did -- read a ton of recipes to understand the commonalities and then just made jam.

Best of the bunch, hatch before last. Hatch prior to this has disappointed. The limited patterning a few had has mostly faded as they aged up, as have virtually all the white dots.

Oddly enough, some of my best looking birds, in terms of my target appearance, have the grey fluff on the undercairrage.

16925361689724683025829288082352.jpg
She looks similar to a couple of my Bielefelders.
IMG_E4386.JPG

Your grapes look really good!
Make sure you make a strong trellis for them to grow on. We planted these around 2000. They are pruned back hard in late winter and will still bleed sap a bit. Never seem to bother them.
*photos from a previous year
View attachment 3615083

There are only 2 trunks. In time your 2 plants should give you tons of grapes each year. I never have much pest damage on these except Japanese beetles but they do only minor damage.

View attachment 3615084
My scuppernongs are sweetest when they turn this color.View attachment 3615086
I use 1/4" stainelss steel cable, connected to 3' earth augurs at either end, with three poles - outer poles leaning out at about 15-20 degrees, taller center pole dead vertical, and a 20' toatl length +/- a few inches. and I prune more agressively - but your advice is good. Next time, I'll use larger steel cables.

The ones they use at the vineyard up the way are cray-cray. Crazy "thik" doesn't begin to describe it.

@3KillerBs, Can other grapes be used? I hope to have grapes in... 3 years...
3 years is a good time scale. My vines started as $7.88 twigs from TSC three years ago. I felt bad because there is $60 in hardware for every $8 in vine, but I'm already questioning whether 1/4" ss shed tie down cable is strong enough for next decade. I'll likely need to run a sronger cable in a fey years, but I set eye bolts at the top of my posts years ago, so at least it should be relatively easy to add a second cable.

3 years is a good time scale.
I have 2 green and 2 red and their names escape me at the moment. They're from Costco, purchased this spring, and about 14" tall now. I have a 6' tall chainlink fence for them to climb. The fence was free on the side of the road (my lucky day!). I can make a bigger arbor in the future if needed.

We have a lot (LOT LOT) of wild grapes here, but only some actually produce anything. Some grow decent sized grapes, most grow very small grapes, or nothing at all. Oh, they all grow leaves for the Japanese Beetles to eat.

Of course, the one that grows decent sized grapes is in the middle of a patch of poison ivy. :rolleyes:

My vines started as $7.88 twigs from TSC three years ago.
My grapes were tiny potted twigs from a local hardware store. Other than pruning, I give them a bit of 10-10-10 when I see the leaf buds start to swell in spring. Sometimes they get a layer of compost once per year if I have plenty.
I felt bad because there is $60 in hardware for every $8 in vine, but I'm already questioning whether 1/4" ss shed tie down cable is strong enough for next decade.
Our support has a #10 wire. The end supports are some type of angle iron welded together. (was free!) Never been replaced. It's seen a lot of bad storms and hurricanes. The hardware is pricey but replacing a trellis with a mature vine is tough job. If you want to keep it long term before it gets too big do something substantial. You are probably fine for several years.

Oh and I think I've mentioned to you before....They make a lovely wine. :)

My grapes were tiny potted twigs from a local hardware store. Other than pruning, I give them a bit of 10-10-10 when I see the leaf buds start to swell in spring. Sometimes they get a layer of compost once per year if I have plenty.
"Bunny Gold" Mine get plenty of bunny gold.

The deep litter compost from the chickens goes to the raidsed beds.

Back
Top Bottom