1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Storms are making me weary

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Linda in San Diego, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    My father was burned out of his home in the firestorm of 2003, the firestorms of 07 made him leave his home again, but he was not burned out
    Katrina devestated New Orleans, and Gustav is coming on strong.

Firestorms and Hurricain storms - not much difference, just making us tired

2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    :aww
    I know... my family home was threatened by the wildfires in '07, too... I feel like I'm holding my breath, waiting for the next disaster to hit.
    [​IMG]

3. Their Other Mother

Their Other Mother Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Arizona
    Storms seem to be every where right now.. It is lightning like crazy tonight. I don't remember it being this bad ever. The wind has been blowing terrible too. About 100 trees have been damaged or blown down at our church alone. We are all meeting there in the morning to help try to save what we can. We live in the middle of the desert, I really feel sorry for the folks on the gulf coast.

4. geoaware

geoaware Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    Southern Maine
    We are sick of tornado warnings (and even real tornadoes). All the locals tell us they have not seen one in over 20 years...and this year we have had three warnings and a touch down less and a few miles from home (it was a mile wide and went 65 miles destroying the town of Windsor and all in between).

Whats with all these weather events...is this the start of global warming consequences or are we just seeing 500 yr events coming around?

5. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    A meteorologist that I talk to regularly says that the whole "global warming" thing isn't new. It's likely a pattern. It's difficult to know what the pattern is because it is only recently that we've been taking measurements and recording events on a daily basis worldwide. We just don't have enough accurate data to go on. Storms also come and go in patterns, depending on air and water temperatures and other factors. The weather this spring was perfect for tornadoes and other strong storms, hence a lot of excitement at our spring SkyWarn meeting.

However, if "global warming" causes businesses to think more about caring for the earth, it isn't so bad to wonder about. All of us should try our best to be more earth-conscious, whether we are truly having an effect or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by