Strange bump appeared on to side of quail's head, please help identify the problem

Lobzi

Crowing
14 Years
May 6, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area, EB

This is a terrible picture but the best of all I took. The bump is on the left side top of head. I didnt want to stress the poor thing out too much and so I got it right back out to the pen ASAP. The bump makes it look like it is a polish top but it is much more than feathers poofing up. Im really worried. This little one is also cross beaked but has been doing well. I did trim the beak once.

I'm no expert, but your quail appears to have an infection caused by an injury or perhaps a sinus infection (which I hear can also lead to crooked beaks if they have the infection for a long time).

I hope your quail gets better soon!

I'm no expert, but your quail appears to have an infection caused by an injury or perhaps a sinus infection (which I hear can also lead to crooked beaks if they have the infection for a long time).

I hope your quail gets better soon!
If infection, can I give duramycin or other antibiotic?
I bought the quail as nearly and adult and it had the crossbeak then but hardly noticeable. Over time it became more noticeable and then a bump appeared on the side of the head/beak just under the eye. I did give it som duramycin at that time but eventually stopped. Now he has this much larger bump....
Im at a loss as to what if anything I can do for it.

An infection that causes a large bump is likely to be sealed off from the blood vessels, meaning antibiotics given orally are unlikely to work, as they are moved around in the body with the blood. It should work, if there is still a blood supply going into the bump. In general bumps with pus are treated by puncturing them to get the pus out and then applying antibiotics topically. It might still be a good idea to give oral antibiotics to prevent spread of the infection though. And the bump could theoretically be caused by something else than pus, in which case puncturing might not be optimal.
If the dura-whatever worked last time, I would give it a try before finding a scalpel and beginning to cut the quail.

Good points, thank you. I will save cutting as a last resort. How about using a syringe and trying to draw any liquid or puss out?

I started on Duramycin again this morning. It is such a sweet thing. I trimmed its beak too as the lower portion grows quite long. It bled a bit but there were not complaints. I hope I can help it. I know cross beaks are a challenge with chickens but Ive not had such an experience with quail.

I have a couple chickens with crooked beaks, but I've never had one with a crossed-beak. However, I have heard with trimming and careful feeding most birds with such a deformity can do quite well.

I hope your quail gets better soon.

Thanks for steering me in the direction of a sinus infection. I did some Internet research and found a site where operation to remove sinus infection in a peafowl was demonstrated. I contacted the author and showed my pics of my quail. I was guided through operating on my little quail with the bump. I removed a pea-size infection this afternoon and it is already back with the others and doing so well. I spent much of the afternoon sitting in the pen to make sure none of the others would pick on it. It is blending in better than before the operation. It no longer is hiding in the corner. Here are some pic of the aftermath.

Mass removed

Side view after removal

Resting showing now flattened head

The best tip I was given was to put the little one in an old sock with its head through the hole cut in the toe. It made it so easy to control his movements during the surgery.

That's awesome!
celebrate.gif

Good job on the surgery.

Back
Top Bottom