Strange Chicken Screaming

Jumping in here to ask on the same topic....

My buff and Brahma are SO loud and screachy. Periodically throughout the day. Not linked to their egg laying as far as I know (the brahma isn't laying yet 35 weeks old, the buff stardted laying 3 weeks ago at 30 weeks).

I've given them dog toys. I throw food scraps in their run every couple of hours in hopes to keep them busy and happy.

I chose the breeds I did because I read that they were quiet. We live in a normal neighborhood, I can't have them screaming all day for "no reason."

Help? insight? Get rid of them? replace with other quiet breeds? I don't want them riling the others up, which I do occasionally see.

We have similar concerns in our neighborhood since the yards are smaller and neighbor’s houses are in close proximity. A couple things I do to keep the chickens engaged and hopefully lessthe squawking is:

1) I fill up an old drink container (i.e. plastic iced tea bottle), drill holes in the container, and fill with scratch or mealworms. The chickens go for a while pecking out the treats as the slowly fall out. They have even gotten smart enough to poke the bottle out when I place it in the hole of a cinder block so that they can get to the treats.

2) I have cameras in the run and coop that allow for 2-way audio. If they get too noisy, they will usually quiet down if they hear the sound of my voice or if I play music through the speaker. This helps if I’m not able to get outside right away.

I have orpingtons too, but thankfully they haven’t been too noisy. I think each individual bird is different based on genetics and environment. I have a Rhode Island Red which is supposedly more aggressive/dominant and the orpingtons are supposedly more docile and get picked on, but it is the opposite in my flock. Go figure?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom