Strange!!! Did my rooster lay this egg?

Pics
This tops high on my list of strangest things I've ever seen... I came upon what I thought was a deflated water balloon on my back deck...and no idea where it came from... Nope, it has a yoke inside! My hens are all in the coop! The only chicken loose is the rooster! Is Zorro half Zoey? :idunno
Does he crow?

We have MaryAnne, Lovey, and Ginger. One of the girls crowed when they were young pullets. Ginger is a wild squawker and has the same toes and spurs as a rooster. She's little but keeps the others in line.

Ok well it wasn't from my hens because they are cooped and they do eat layer feed. None of them have ever laid an egg without a shell. I get a softer shell on occasion but never anything like this. I wouldn't join a public forum and look the fool if I had an answer.
My grandfather had a rooster that was also a hen. Hermiphadite. Is your rooster proven?

When one of our girls started laying she laid an egg like this! It was within the first week or so. From what I read it has nothing to do with diet, it just sometimes happens when the body is getting used to laying. All of our girls lay large eggs, hers ended up being jumbo-sized. Freaked me out so badly when I saw it! The little tail thing is because this kind of egg doesn't plop out like a normal one so a little bit gets sort of stuck. The hen thinks it is done and leaves the laying box with it kind of dangling out of her until the last little bit squeezes out, hence the tail. Is your rooster under 8 months old by any chance? It seems super unlikely he's actually a hen, but that would be the only explanation I could think of!

Attachments

• 152285588_10102928567793806_1135115105927081999_o.jpg
    152285588_10102928567793806_1135115105927081999_o.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 5
This tops high on my list of strangest things I've ever seen... I came upon what I thought was a deflated water balloon on my back deck...and no idea where it came from... Nope, it has a yoke inside! My hens are all in the coop! The only chicken loose is the rooster! Is Zorro half Zoey? :idunno
Maybe your Rooster is a female who took on male characteristics. I have seen that before and it’s because they are missing an ovary , but I have never seen a female who thinks she’s a rooster then lay a egg. 🤔hmmmmm That would explain the weird egg I guess. My Silkie laid a egg similar once and my girls all played with it like catch the flag . So the egg was pretty much unrecognizable by the time I took it away . Your situation is odd to say the least . Good luck in figuring it all out . Please update if you do .... 😀

New Theory A - Zorro doesn't like being excluded from the hen pen. He wants to be a rooster with those lovely fluffy ladies! So he PUT the egg on your doorstep in the hopes you'd "think" he was a hen and put him right back in there!

New Theory B - One of your family found the egg in the hen pen and left it on the deck to prank you into thinking Zorro might lay eggs! Is there anyone in the house who would have a vested interest in seeing you committed for raving about egg laying roosters? <3
lol good one! Must be that. . No family or guests were here to move the egg. We live in a fenced rural area with coded gate. We are always aware of guests arriving.

Back
Top Bottom