Strange feet, any clues? (2 pics)

ears73

Songster
11 Years
Jul 30, 2008
Westchester, NY
Hiya folks,

I have an Astralorp of unknown age. She came to us a few months ago and was always a little bit ratty looking w/gnarly feet -but they seem to have gotten worse since the cold weather hit.

Any ideas?

13835_ritafeet1.jpg

13835_ritafeet2.jpg

Could it be frostbite, even though she sort of had it before it was anywhere near cold?
Should she be separated?
Any cream or topical salve that would help?

Thanks a bunch in advance!

Thanks for the info... I have a RIR that we bought and she is the same way. The seller said that she was only a few months old, but she looks really old...if you look at her feet alone...
sad.png

I will try this and I hope she gets better...thanks for sharing!

Even veg oil, bag balm or olive oil will work, so it doesn' t have to be just one thing. In the old days, motor oil (don't hollar at me, it was what the old timers did- can you imagine?!
sickbyc.gif
)

I had a hen with scaly leg mites who looked just like that! I coated her in vasoline (actually unpetroleum, feel more comfortable using that) every two or three days. For good measure I dipped her coated legs and feet into some lice killing poultry dust.

The mites can spread to your other birds, especially via the roost pole! If I were you I would coat everyone's legs, if possible, to prevent an outbreak, clean out your coops often for the next few weeks, and disinfect your roost poles now and then again once you are done treating. Once we got scaly leg mites and lice going in our coop, it was so hard to rid of it all totally!! Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom