Strange frizzle feathers

southernsibe

Songster
12 Years
Jun 15, 2007
kensington, maryland
Hello to all,
I have a question about one of my bantam cochins that is a frizzle. His feathers are very stiff, almost wiry. Has anyone seen something like this? On some of the feathers on his wings there isn't anything other then the center part. Any ideas?
thanks to anyone that can shed some light on this.
Rachel

hmm.png
i'm sort of confused.... i happen to have 6 frizzles, 2 of wich are roos... they sort of sound like that.. but so does 1 of my gals.. i'm not really sure though... could u post some pics?

You, my friend, have what us Frizzle Breeders refer to as a curly. A curly is a Frizzle that has both Frizzle Genes instead of one making the feathers very brittle and ugly. This isnt good for the bird itself, can actually kill it in more than one way. If you go to Feathersite.com and read what Glenda Heywood has written about breeding them you might understand it a little more. She knows her stuff about breeding them.

~Casey

Casey,
Thank you for giving me some help with this. The frizzle in question is a roo, cute little guy. When you said it wasn't good for the bird, I just nodded, (I tend to talk to the computer before I write, strange, I know) This bird was pretty pasty for the first day or so, then I had to watch and make sure he stayed flowing, so to speak. He is also pretty small.
Thanks again,
Rachel

I wish my camara was working, or I would post some pictures of this guy. He is cute, in his own special way. Are there any special considerations that he needs since his feathers aren't up to snuff?
Thanks
Rachel

Sorry for the late reply,..been a little busy. Anyways, in the summer I would just make sure that he isnt in sunlight alot, if he has alot of missing feathers he could get sun burned pretty bad. And int he winter make sure he doesnt get to cold. That would be the only thing I would consider special treatment for him. If you need anything else just ask, I will try and help all I can.

~Casey

Back
Top Bottom