1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Strange humming sound from my pullet!?!??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nlbeardmore, Aug 3, 2011.

1. nlbeardmore

nlbeardmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    England
    I have just been outside to my flock and my white silkie pullet is making a strange humming noise, sort of in time with her breathing. It isnt really a wheezing sound just a bird sound i guess. I am unsure of her age as we bought her from a market, however she must be near to 20 weeks old. Does any one know what this could mean? she's not acting herself, off her food and keeps sitting down, until i go to pick her up and then she goes mad (never really been a fan of being held).
    Any help would be great as i dont want her to suffer if she is sick.
    Thankyou!

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    A trilling sound is their happy sound. Mine do it when they are snoozing under the coop, on the roosts at night, dust bathing, etc.

But I'm betting you have a broody. (not a hard assumption to make with a silkie) Is she on the nest at night?

3. doubleatraining

doubleatraining Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Franklinton, NC
    I have a 5 week old BO that I swear "purrs" when she is on her roost. She is such a happy little bird!

4. nlbeardmore

nlbeardmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    England
    It's difficult to explain, she hasn't started laying yet, and can't be broody because she is not sitting in a nest,just random places in the coop and moves around alot. Iv heard the 'purring' sound too and it's not like that, it's quite high pitched! Could it be that she is preparing to start laying eggs?

5. KWAK

KWAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    Michigan
    I have had broody hens lay around the coop before they get on the eggs, they dont always go straigt to eggs before laying, i also have had hens go broody before laying eggs (well atleast i didnt find any, she was my only bantam and i had no small eggs?)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by