Strange Parrot Behavior

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by pen1124, Dec 5, 2011.

1. pen1124

pen1124 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2010
    Long Island
    Okay so my half moon conure is almost a year old, and he is starting to do something really strange. He is constantly (Almost every 10 minutes) taking his beak and latching onto one of the vertical bars, and running it up and down the bar. I've owned many parrots and numerous other birds in my life and have never seen this habit done before. Im wondering is it territorial (hes honestly one of the nicest birds in the world), or does he have an itch [​IMG] If someone could help me out, that's be great, thanks again.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Could he be bored? Maybe he needs some toys or something that he can chew on....

3. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    he kinda sounds bored to me...or maybe he just really likes the texture of the bars...I worked at a parrot rescue a few years back. Lots of birds develop odd nervous habits like that...what is his set up like?

4. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I have a female Eclectus, she does that alot, and bites to the bone.
    Since she is one of my breeders, I let her get away with it, as she makes money, but I would watch him.
    Give him lots of things to chew on, as parrots can get bored pretty fast.

5. pen1124

Jan 31, 2010
    Long Island
    Oh gosh, trust me he has more toys then god in hes cage LOL I bought him the biggest cage that would fit in my bedroom (3ftx3ftx4ft) and he gets new toys every third wensday of the month, (when the LongIsland Parrot Society Meets). I give him ample time out of his cage almost every day too, so i dont understand whats going on in his little mind

6. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Well, maybe it's just a habit he's gotten used to doing....Like when we chew our nails, or when babies suck their thumbs......

7. pen1124

Jan 31, 2010
    Long Island
    Hmm okay, do you guys know anyway of stopping it?

8. pek

pek Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2009
    Rhode Island
    my bird likes to chew on the bars and i gave a one of those rough perches and she loves and stop chewing on the bars. try getting him one of those

9. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I meant to post this before, sorry I took so long.
    It could be he is just scratching his nose. My parrots love to get the squirt bottle of water.
    Now that winter is here, the heat is on, and the humidity goes down... his sinuses could be drying out, or allergies?
    Give him a bird bath, see if he uses it.

10. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    If your bird is living alone this behavior could be the result of sexual frustration. If you are able, slowly introduce a partner for your bird. Some folks say a mirror will help but then you have your bird rubbing his beak on the mirror all the time!

On the other hand, you bird needs attention. Toys, although helpful, do no give the attention a hand-raised bird craves. If your pet has learned beak rubbing will make you stop what you are doing and turn to him he is rewarded for his behavior and will continue this behavior to gain attention. Make sure his cage is in a quiet area and if near a window. Provide a place in the cage that will provide him a comfort zone just in case something scary (cat, other bird) appears at the window.

So, what to do? As suggested another bird will help, otherwise you'll have to start spending hands on time with your bird. Don't reward you bird when he's beak rubbing the cage bars. Give your bird attention when he's doing an appropriate behavior. Remember, pet birds are not animals you can simply throw in the back yard when they get on your nerves. They are living creatures evolved to have a close relationship with their kind. They crave attention and even wild-caught parrots can learn to love their human caretaker if that person takes the time to understand their pet's need.

Pet parrots do need attention and if they don't get attention you will see strange/repetitive behaviors such as weaving, beak rubbing, or excessive grooming leading to plucking. You gotta take the time to make your bird happy.

And it is always a good idea to consult with an avian vet to make sure you bird is not suffering from a physical issue.

Good luck and enjoy your Conure!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by