Strange 'poop' found this morning -- like sausage??

P_Dub

In the Brooder
May 11, 2022
Ann Arbor MI
Today when I cleaned the coop I found these bits in the bedding.
IMG_20220529_145613005_2 sausage poop 1.jpg

The larger chunk is about 1" to 1-1/4" long (they are sitting on a 1-1/2"x3" roost). Quite firm. Definitely not something weird they may have eaten. They were hanging out in the yard for a while yesterday but there are no berries or anything red around.

I decided to cut it open and ... it looks like a tiny sausage inside!

IMG_20220529_171851779 sausage poop cut open.jpg

Whaaaa???? I've seen intestinal shedding before -- bits of red stuff in the poop, but this would be a massive shed-a giant chunk! When I first found it, I thought it was a really strange wacko egg, but it was too firm. The chooks are acting fine, don't seem sick or anything. But this is just weird and I wondered if anyone had insight about what it could be.
Thanks!

The second photo I included shows it cut open. Looks like sausage. (that is the tip of my pocket knife in the photo)

Last edited:
Thank you for that link. Learned a lot from that.

It can only be from one of the 2 mature hens I have. Both are 7 years old, one has been laying all spring, the other has only laid 1 shell-less egg this year, but spends time sitting in the nest box a couple of times a week. Logic suggests it was she who passed this 'sausage.' I had not been concerned about her not laying because she's also grown spurs, so I thought she might be turning into a rooster. However, the layer has recently developed runny poop, so something may be going on with her too... One day recently she was acting really droopy and lethargic, but recovered. Then the 'sausage' then the next day she laid an egg. Hmmm...

Sounds like there is not much I can do if it's salpingitis... 😢

[edit]: Here's another article from a vet: https://the-chicken-chick.com/causes-of-lash-eggs-salpingitis-by/

Last edited:
I does sound like the one that has stopped laying is likely the one who passed the mass. Sometimes they pass some, like she did, sometimes they do not. It builds up inside them and can make them feel like they need to lay, but they can't. It's notorious for not responding to treatment unless caught very early. And they hide the symptoms so well that it's usually advanced before it's discovered. I leave mine with the flock until they are obviously unwell, go off food or water, isolate themselves, or get attacked by the flock, then I euthanize. I've had some last 18 months or so, some have passed more quickly. You may notice her abdomen getting large and bloated, her legs may be pushed wide causing her to waddle, and she will probably move slower. Sometimes the pressure in the abdomen can make breathing more difficult. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom