Strange post-molt egg laying

Chickengost

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2020
My year-old Golden lace has not resumed her normal egg laying since she finished her first molt a few months ago. She used to be a good layer, but since then, she lays weirdly shaped eggs, or shell-less eggs. All her other behaviors are normal- she is eating /drinking, hanging with the rest of the hens and keeping them in check. She is also back to jumping in our laps and wanting to be picked up whenever she gets the chance.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
1 year old wyandotte
A 12 month old bird wouldn't have molted a few months ago.
Maybe a partial molt around the neck?

She free ranges and also gets scratch and peck feed, oyster shell, egg shells and grubs.
Is this feed cracked grins...or pellets or crumble?
Cracked grain feeds are best utilized by fermenting or soaking so all the fines(vitamins/minerals/ amino acids) are not lost at the bottom of the feeder/bag.

Cracked grain feeds are best utilized by fermenting or soaking so all the fines(vitamins/minerals/ amino acids) are not lost at the bottom of the feeder/bag.
Yes, I do ferment some of their feed.
The Vet said she was molting…

Both of my EEs went through a full mold around 9 months old. They lost feathers on their heads, chest, back, tail. Both also stopped laying for over a month.

Back
Top Bottom