Strange rash/ loss of feathers

Zillaah

Chirping
Nov 2, 2018
My chick is missing feathers on her neck, and seems to be scratching it. I haven’t seen the other chicks attacking her or each other. She is about a month old. I moved all of them into the outside coop about a week ago. I cleaned it thoroughly and dusted it with DE before putting them in there. No other chicks are exhibiting any signs of feather loss or mites ect. It looks pretty inflamed and is slightly swollen and callous but has no open wound or blood and only a few tiny tiny scabs. Does anyone have any idea what it could be or what I should do help it?

Attachments

• 6F3E61AE-0E90-456F-939A-607D5096DA99.jpeg
    6F3E61AE-0E90-456F-939A-607D5096DA99.jpeg
    366.5 KB · Views: 7
Looks like she's being picked at. She does have some new feather growth too, but I see some broken feathers there along with the scabs.
How much space do you have?

I think I would try some pine tar or Nu Stock cream on the wounds. I've never used the pine tar, but some report good results to help deter from picking. Nu Stock is stinky to me, so wear gloves when applying it. I don't thing the chicks would pick at it once they get a taste of it.
What do you feed?

Looks like she's being picked at. She does have some new feather growth too, but I see some broken feathers there along with the scabs.
How much space do you have?

I think I would try some pine tar or Nu Stock cream on the wounds. I've never used the pine tar, but some report good results to help deter from picking. Nu Stock is stinky to me, so wear gloves when applying it. I don't thing the chicks would pick at it once they get a taste of it.
What do you feed?

they have a 4’x8’ + 4’ high for 18. Once they grow a little more they’ll have the whole coop which is 8’x8’ and about 8’ high. But they won’t be in the coop except for at night because they will be free ranging in my yard during the day. I haven’t noticed any of them picking on her but that was my first thought. They have medicated crumbles for feed for now, and plenty of it. I got some MicrocynAH to spray it with for now. I’ll check out the Nu stock. Where would I find pine tar? Thank you!

Last edited:
Do you have other birds in the coop besides the chicks?
I would let them have the whole space now.

I have 5 grown hens in the other part of the coop. They are all out during the day but I leave it open for them to lay in the boxes. I picked up 8 chicks which would have fit fine in the separated coop area, but then my husband decided to bring home 10 more 🤦🏼‍♀️ Hence the space problem now. I will just have to have him build an addition and keep an eye on her. I’ll remove her if it gets worse. Space is easier to fix, I was more concerned it might be disease.

Back
Top Bottom