Strange Skunk

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Jarhead, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Jarhead

Jarhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Arkansas
    I know these guys are opportunistic eaters and less predatory than some other animals, but I thought I would share a little something I saw last night. I am not really worried about them being a problem, this was just a cool skunk. There were 2 skunks near my house, one was the normal black with white center stripe color and the other was like a photo negative. All white with a black center stripe. It was pretty cool looking skunk.

2. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    i think ive seen more of the white ones than i have black, they are neat looking.

3. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Interesting. In this area they are more black.
    Be careful of rabies though.

4. Bassleg

Bassleg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2008
    Lebanon Oregon
    Be careful I have a pet skunk and I think if she had a half of a chance she would kill a chicken, she is a fun pet but not for everybody!

Bassleg

5. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Our neighborhood skunk Stella is mostly white. And she is BIG
    But the smaller ones I have seen dead on the local roads are the more "typical" Bambi type of skunk.(Flower) Black with the white strips.

When I was growing up a neighbor had a pet raccoon, Booka. They had him until he tore another adults hand apart. Then they sent him to the local wild life zoo.

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I've seen and dispatched plenty of skunks in my day, but I don't think I've ever seen a white skunk w/ black stripes.

it's always been just the other way around.

If we had broody's that set too low, skunks would constantly be raiding their nests.

We finally had to start setting traps. When they would get caught we would shoot with a .22 and then after the stench and dust had settled, we would bury them.

7. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    Had to laugh when I read skunk cause the other night we were sittin in the living room with all the windows open, enjoying the fresh night air when all of a sudden my neighbors dog came flyin' across the yard and a skunk sprayed him...right under my livingroom windows. I have never had a stink so bad in my life!! It really took hours for the smell to go away. The poor dog went runnin home and I haven't seen him out of his outdoor kennel since. Poor thing! [​IMG]

8. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I had a pair in my yard. Fluffy was white with a black spot on her head and one on her back. Her buddy was regular skunk coloured.

9. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Be very careful with skunks around. They will kill your chickens in a heartbeat. They are also bad about carrying rabies. Nasty, stinky little suckers.

10. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    I have never seen a skunk like that either. They are really abundant this year. From what I hear in town people are setting traps because skunks are digging up the yards in search of grub worms.

We are having the same problem out in the country too. The back of the farm yard has lots of skunk activity. We laid grub stuff in the front yard two years ago but havnt done that since I got the Guinea's. I don't really mind the skunks digging up the grub worms, they had just better leave their activity to getting grub worms. If we see them, they are dead because of the rabbies. I do have all my cats & dogs vaccinated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by