Strange Skunk

Jarhead

Songster
11 Years
Aug 12, 2008
Arkansas
I know these guys are opportunistic eaters and less predatory than some other animals, but I thought I would share a little something I saw last night. I am not really worried about them being a problem, this was just a cool skunk. There were 2 skunks near my house, one was the normal black with white center stripe color and the other was like a photo negative. All white with a black center stripe. It was pretty cool looking skunk.

Be careful I have a pet skunk and I think if she had a half of a chance she would kill a chicken, she is a fun pet but not for everybody!

Bassleg

Our neighborhood skunk Stella is mostly white. And she is BIG
But the smaller ones I have seen dead on the local roads are the more "typical" Bambi type of skunk.(Flower) Black with the white strips.

When I was growing up a neighbor had a pet raccoon, Booka. They had him until he tore another adults hand apart. Then they sent him to the local wild life zoo.

I've seen and dispatched plenty of skunks in my day, but I don't think I've ever seen a white skunk w/ black stripes.

it's always been just the other way around.

If we had broody's that set too low, skunks would constantly be raiding their nests.

We finally had to start setting traps. When they would get caught we would shoot with a .22 and then after the stench and dust had settled, we would bury them.

Had to laugh when I read skunk cause the other night we were sittin in the living room with all the windows open, enjoying the fresh night air when all of a sudden my neighbors dog came flyin' across the yard and a skunk sprayed him...right under my livingroom windows. I have never had a stink so bad in my life!! It really took hours for the smell to go away. The poor dog went runnin home and I haven't seen him out of his outdoor kennel since. Poor thing!
big_smile.png

I have never seen a skunk like that either. They are really abundant this year. From what I hear in town people are setting traps because skunks are digging up the yards in search of grub worms.

We are having the same problem out in the country too. The back of the farm yard has lots of skunk activity. We laid grub stuff in the front yard two years ago but havnt done that since I got the Guinea's. I don't really mind the skunks digging up the grub worms, they had just better leave their activity to getting grub worms. If we see them, they are dead because of the rabbies. I do have all my cats & dogs vaccinated.

Back
Top Bottom