strange small egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by berkeleysprings, Mar 8, 2009.

1. berkeleysprings

berkeleysprings Chillin' With My Peeps

strange small we found in the coop , from right to left are large ameraucana,,,,ameraucana,,, small silkie,,,,, than a very small egg. the only
    thing i can think of its the 11 week old chckoo maran ... and thoughtds if this is possable ?.we do have a few partridge plymoth rocks but there eggs are usualy large
    [​IMG]

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I dont know but it shure is really cute . You should incubate it and see what hatches.

3. L*A*G*

L*A*G* Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    yes! fire up that bator and see.

4. berkeleysprings

berkeleysprings Chillin' With My Peeps

i would but i dont have a fertal rooster in there yet,sorry for the spellingh ,,,, im a carpenter lol

5. L*A*G*

L*A*G* Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    Quote:SHOOT!

6. BawGock

BawGock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    We had an egg like that, just a little longer than a dime.
    It didn't have a yolk in it, only white.
    Carolyn

7. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    L*A*G* :

yes! fire up that bator and see.

I dont' think you'd really wanna do that. Since it's soo small, the chick may develop larger than the capacity of the egg and die anyway. Not to mention it may not have a yolk in the first place. These are called "fart" eggs. Happen every once in a while. [​IMG]

8. orcasislandchickens

orcasislandchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    Yes it is probably the marans. It looks like a pullet egg. When they first start laying they sometimes lay one of those. She is just getting started and will produce normal ones soon enough. Sure is cute though. Often pullet eggs (also often called fart or wind eggs) don't have a yolk and they are almost always infertile even if you have a rooster.

9. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    LOL! I was going to say the same thing. It's probably a yolkless egg. I get a couple every year. I have a yolkless duck egg in the fridge right now because my daughter thinks it's "neat"[​IMG]
    Last year I got one from one of my guineas.
    Crack it open and I bet it probably either doesn't have a yolk at all or a very small remnant of one....

It is also possible for a young hen to produce an egg with no yolk at all. Yolkless eggs are usually formed about a bit of tissue that is sloughed off the ovary or oviduct. This tissue stimulates the secreting glands of the oviduct and a yolkless egg results.

Yolkless eggs also may occur if something prevents the yolk from entering the oviduct. In this rare case only the white gets enclosed in the shell and the egg is usually smaller. A chicken's yolkless egg will be about the size of a pigeon's normal egg.
    [​IMG]

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Fart eggs: low in cholesterol, almost as tasty, great for pie topping.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by