Strange thing happened.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by magikchick, Sep 23, 2008.

1. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    I noticed one of cochin pullets acting strange, kind of droopy and wings hanging a bit. I picked her up and looked her over she looks fine. I started to rub her crop and I didn't feel any solid food in there. All at once an egg came out of her without a shell. Just the yellow and clear parts.

Do you think she is acting strange because she is getting ready to start laying. Or do I have something to worry about?

2. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

she was probably "wondering" what that funny feeling inside her was,, and the no shell egg is her first? alot do that for their first egg,, but if she does it again, or often, she needs calcium.

3. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    Yes it was her first. I've seen some lay thin shells but never no shell.

They get egg shells and yoguart as well as a good laying pellet.

4. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

One of mine just laid the same kind of egg, also a newbie. Isn't it kinda gross?? I'm glad, though, now I have 3 laying! [​IMG]

7 to go...[​IMG]

5. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

Quote:then she should be JUST FINE!! ,, i was worried when i found a "no sheller" the first time,, thought my hen was defective,,hehe,, but her next 1 was just fine,, and 1 of my 3 buff orps had a no sheller on her first.
    i wouldnt worry bout it unless it becomes a habit [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by