Strange Tom Behaviour- please help

farmgirlmelly

In the Brooder
Jun 13, 2018
Hello, please forgive my lack of turkey knowledge...

I have a flock of chickens and ducks that I love, and I came across a mature male turkey for sale and thought he would be a good addition.

I brought him home to our farm where most of our animals free range.

I kept him in the barn for about a week and he seemed for be getting annoyed, so I let him out and now the Turkey has taken up residence outside my bedroom window and glass door on my back deck. He pretty much will not leave, even to eat and drink. He has been there for a week and I have started to get worried about him so I have brought him food and water there.

He gobbles often when he sees me and makes different clicking noises, he really likes looking inside at us through the window and displays his feathers...even to the cat. Seems friendly and aggressive at the same time (if thats a thing) I am having a hard time deciphering his behaviour as a first time turkey owner. If I get too close he pecks at me (fair enough) but if I am outside near him generally he fluffs up right away and starts doing his dance. Do Turkeys ever fan out their feathers as a sign of aggression? Is he just really lonely? Is he obsessed with the window because he can see his reflection? What should I do with him to encourage him to go somewhere else on the property? Sometimes I shoo him after but he always comes right back there to perch. Should I get him a hen? Sorry for all the questions... I wish he would just go out and forage with the rest of the animals and abandon his post!

Turkeys need other turkeys. Get more turkeys or find him a new home. He's lonely and looking for other turkeys. Some toms can be aggressive so definitely keep an eye on him. Mine display constantly and will follow me displaying.

Back
Top Bottom