Strange visitor

N&MSchroeder

Songster
11 Years
Feb 4, 2011
SE Idaho
Okay, this one has us puzzled. The night before last, just before dark, there was a knock on our door. My husband answered, and it was a woman who needed gas for her out of state car. She said that she didn't have a wallet and that she needed to make it into town, about 6-8 miles away. My husband had a 5 gallon container of gas for the lawn mower, so of course, he gave her some. I wasn't home at the time (I teach class a couple of nights a week) but when he told me about the visit, we both felt her behavior was odd. Here is what puzzled us-if you are running out of gas, why would you leave the interstate, drive past a gas station (where there would be people there who could help), turn onto a frontage road, cross train tracks and a canal, drive up a paved country road, then turn onto a dirt road and drive for a half mile up a hill to a house where there may or may not be people/gas? Yes, you can see our house from the interstate (up on a hill) but its not easily accessible. Here is the other thing, while he was giving her free gas, she started lecturing him! He should farm organically, he should give up his water rights, etc. Anyone who lives in the West knows that discussing water rights is a hot topic! There is a standing joke here that it would be better to steal your neighbors wife rather than steal his water. So, since when did begging for gas come with a lecture?
hu.gif
What in the heck is up with this and will she be back? Has anyone had a similar experience?

Yes, the gas station was open, it was about 8 pm and the gas station stays open until 10. I don't want to seem paranoid about this, but I just can't think she was up to any good.

I had a lady ask me for some money to buy gas while I was pumping my own. She was driving a much nicer vehicle then myself, had very nice clothes on, had a cell phone in her hand, her two kids were in the back seat both playing with their own type of electronic game and were dressed in clothes I doubt I could afford for my own kids. I replied to her that I had just spent my last dollar on my own fuel.

As I was finishing up, a man exited the store with a bag full of chips and sodas and got in the car with her and they drove off.

I dont mind helping someone out, but IMO I think people are scamming folks left and right out there.........

Last edited:
When I was at the gas station a few months ago, a lady sent her young daughter (she couldn't have been more than 10) over to beg for some money from me for gasoline. The child was telling me a sob story about them not having enough gas to visit a sick grandmother, and it was very well rehearsed. I told the child that I just put the last of my money into my gas tank.

She ran back to her mom and exclaimed "Mom! She said NO!!!!" like it was such a shock to her that I turned her down.

While this was going on, I noticed the mom coming out of the gas station with snacks......

People will even use their KIDS to lie for them and scam people.......

Thanks everyone for your responses! You have made me feel better. She may have stopped at the gas station and begged for gas (may even have been successful) and then decided to try one more stop before heading out of the area.
fl.gif
I don't mind being taken for a couple of gallons of gas, but I do mind if she was after something more. Karen & StupidBird, no, we don't have dogs and we don't have neighbors. We literally live at the end of a dirt road with farm ground or sage brush on either side and the mountains rising up behind. Our old dog passed away this summer and we haven't had the courage to start training another dog with the chickens. Old chick, we do have the guns
wink.png
. Our youngest son is back in the states after being deployed in Iraq. He will be home Wednesday
ya.gif
and will stay with us until he starts school again in January. My husband, who is one of the most generous people I know, felt her visit was strange, which made me uneasy.

Last edited:
it upsets me when people have the nerve to ask for money from complete strangers.

The church I used to go to is on a well traveled highway. At least once a month we would have someone stop and ask for money. Usually these people were just passing through and needed gas or something. Our gas station in town is closed on Sundays so the deacons would take them down there and put some gas in with their CCs. The church doesn't like giving out cash- we will buy basic necessities if we see the need, but we will not supply cigarettes, junk food, beer, etc. There was one guy that brought his electric bill to us claiming they were going to shut off his power. He reeked of smoke. One person asked him where he got the money to pay for his cigarettes, he laughed and said he smoked the cheapest he could find...then his pack fell out of his shirt cuff- Malbaros! They ended up telling him to get lost that we couldn't help him...when he left he flipped us off and told us all to go to Hell. Nice. I don't know why people expect a church to help them when they don't give anything.

Back
Top Bottom